Since my fairly recent trip to the Barnegat Lighthouse I'd been waiting for a potentially decent night to head back and try my hand at some more twilight/night photos. With no crowd and therefore plenty of time and elbow room I figured it would be much easier to wander around at leisure and set up wherever, trying different camera settings to see what sort of images I could get. The hard part was trying to figure a night when it might not be freezing cold so I could be reasonably comfortable.
I had zero interest in the Super Bowl and I simply refuse to watch it for the commercials for as most of my family and friends know I'm a muter to begin with (apparently one of the few, but whatever). I also figure that what few decent commercials there were will likely continue to be aired in the coming weeks during other sporting events and programs. I don't need to see them the night of their "big premieres" to discuss them the next day.
So late in the afternoon I headed for Long Beach Island instead. I didn't really know how cold it would be, but it was in the 40s during the day here at home (an hour or so inland) and I hoped it wouldn't be too bad there. Luckily it wasn't. Of course, a lot of times at the shore the issue isn't so much the actual temp as much as it is the wind chill factor. But there was barely a breeze and even that was only on the oceanward side of the lighthouse, nothing near what it was like Jan 1st for the official relighting event. So the weather cooperated quite nicely.
As with all of my photographic trials some shots came out decent, others not so much. One of the problems I have with experimenting is that I don't take the time to log what settings I use for each pic. Tedious as that would be to do it would be helpful later when I'm viewing them at home, so I could really get a good idea of what settings work best under what circumstances. Oh well.
I do actually have some idea of the variations of settings I was using here and there. Bottom line might just be that it pays to take the same basic shot two or three times while varying one or two settings each time (at least until I really do get the hang of it). Some shots may come out best with one combo of settings, others with another combo. Hard to say what will look best until you see the full view.
Despite the lack of a "scientific method" to my experimentation, it was still a good learning experience for doing night shots and quite helpful. I do know I had the flash turned off for most and any shots where it may have fired, well, it didn't really factor into the resulting image one way or another.
What follows are what I've picked out as the best ones.... Or if not the best, then at least ones that show a particular something (which I'll note). I'll keep the commentary about each as brief as possible and note image file sizes in parens after the text links for anyone to whom that matters (i.e. dialup folks). Click either the text links or the ensuing corresponding paired thumbnails to view the larger images.
1. An initial shot of the lighthouse (93K) looking at it just past the building on the right there (and from the end of the lighthouse street). This is mainly just to set the scene. The sun was setting inland behind me. Even though this shot is looking away from the sunset I like the nuanced color(s) of the sky beyond the lighthouse.
2. Same as #1, but max zoomed (60K) to focus more on the lighthouse. (BTW, when I say max zoomed, that's 3x for my camera. That was pretty much all the cameras came with back around the turn of the millennium when I got it.)
3. Turning away from Barney, I captured the inland sunset looking through the seawall railing (90K). Having the railing in the shot makes it "artistic."
4. Same inland sunset, but without the railing (105K)
![Same sunset, minus the railing [105K]](http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn139/dimskip/2009-02-01 Barnegat Light SB sunday/th_371--Inlandsunset.jpg)
5. Docked fishing boat, sunset background (86K)
6. Looking skyward at the lighthouse (34K)
7. Lighthouse with sunset background (64K) as viewed from the oceanside walkway. You can make out that the light has started up for the night.
8. Same view, but zoomed (68K)
9. Lighthouse with footlights on (39K). I took this one with my camera's preset night scene mode. That automatically makes it smaller (640x480) so I kind of would rather not use it and try to get the same shot utilizing equivalent option settings with regular modes without the preset night scene. But I wanted to try out the feature some. I had limited success with the preset night scene pics, but this was easily one of the best of those. The mode seems to tend to make the white part of Barney too bright if the scene is truly dark otherwise, but this one being taken when there was still residual sunset light seemed to come out better.
10. Lighthouse and stars (115K) . Looking up at the lighthouse (zoomed) you can see how brightly lit the lantern room is. The longer ISO exposure (400?) probably makes it seem brighter than normal, but it gives a good effect and allows you to see some stars as well.
11. This isn't the best quality shot, but if you look really, really close you can just make out the sweep of the light beam (60K), at least I can on my LCD monitor if I turn out the light in the room and look at the best viewing angle. Yes, you really can clearly see the beam (beams, actually, as there seem to be four of them as the light turns) when you're there up close and in person, but only well after sunset when it gets fully dark. Anybody who expressed disappointment at not being able to see the light beam that first night just didn't wait long enough, but given the cold at the time I can't blame them for that.
12. Another one not the best quality (some minor blurriness up around the lantern room), but I think it shows the light beam sweep just a little better (114K). You still have to look very close to see it in the shot, though. In person it looks more like the "pencil-thin" beam as I'd heard it was supposed to be. It doesn't show up like that in these images because of the longer exposure setting I was using, so it's more of a "fanned out" effect (if you can see it at all). The shot was taken from a different vantage point with obviously very different lighting conditions, looking over a building (the same one that was to the right in shots #1 and #2) and trees with streetlights in view.
13. Looking inland across inlet, with buoy (32K). Or "...distant lights from across the bay..." to quote Steely Dan's "Babylon Sisters." Another shot with the night scene mode. Not a spectacular pic, but I kind of like the red buoy light reflected in the water. The light was flashing, but the longer exposure captured it reasonably well with no noticeable blur due to wave movement. As I mentioned the weather was very calm.
14. One of my favorite shots, showing the lighthouse with water reflection (36K). I took this from the same spot as pics #1 and #2. I thought the longer ISO 400 exposure setting would likely be best, but it turned out the usual ISO 100 was not only sufficient, but much better. The white base wasn't too white and the overall image came out about right, I think, and fairly representative of actually being there.
15. Same scene as pic #5 above, but at night with the boat light reflected in the water (42K)
![Boat docked at night, light reflected in water [42K]](http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn139/dimskip/2009-02-01 Barnegat Light SB sunday/th_418--Dockedboatatnight.jpg)
These last two were taken only after I arrived back home. I decided to try an experiment to see if I could capture starlight in any meaningful way. I used the night scene mode, so again these are smaller images (640x480), but I assumed it would be necessary to use the official night mode setting to get the maximum exposure when looking at the dim light of just stars alone. I managed to frame the image so I could capture Orion with maximum zoom.
16. Orion the hunter (23K). I turned the image clockwise 90 degrees just so it would show the constellation in its traditional orientation as "the hunter."
17. Orion the hunted (25K). The exact same image, but I noticed a plane was headed East right through the middle of the constellation, so I snapped it just as the plane was at the "belt." I should have clicked just a bit sooner because the long exposure resulted in the obvious trail of the plane's lights, the three or four regular "bumpy" bits along the line indicating a blinking light, I believe. The plane was just about to head out of frame when the exposure stopped just before that instant. A better timed shot would have centered the line of the plane's flight path much better, but I'm still quite pleased with the image as it is. I think it's pretty good, especially considering that I'd never even tried to take star images before sunday night and also considering that I don't really think that taking such images is a primary consideration of the manufacturers of most digital cameras on the market (then or now).



12 comments:
It's really hard to choose a favorite...it's like choosing your favorite child.
My personal fav is number 7, but I kind of wish the footlight was on in that shot. Oh well, you can't have everything you want. lol
Awesome job Dim Skip!
Thank you, Angel...
Yeah, I can't really pick a single favorite. Most of the obviously better ones each have a particular something about them that makes it unique in what it shows or good in some general or surprising way (at least that I didn't expect when I was taking the shot).
I wish I could have gotten one or two that really showed the light beam almost as it appears in person, but apparently that's not really possible, not with my camera anyway. If it's possible with the newer, better cameras, I have no idea.
Regardless, I was still quite pleased with the results myself and if I didn't think they sufficiently improved on the last round of pics I wouldn't have even bothered to post'em.
Enjoying your photos, particularly the nighttime pix. The lighthouse with the lighted base is a really nice shot. Denise
Hey, thanks Denise! So glad you enjoyed'em. And thanks for stopping by... Always good to have you visit my little extra-dimensional universe.
It really was just such a pleasant evening there because of: A) the surprisingly nice weather for Feb 1, and B) the extreme lack of anything remotely resembling a crowd.
More and more I just find myself not really enjoying crowds in general, but it definitely was a big help in this case allowing me to freely move about and set up my tripod anywhere with ease, not to mention taking my time adjusting camera settings. I would have enjoyed the evening even if the pictures hadn't come out decent (though of course I would have been a little disappointed).
I understand the enjoying things more, without the crowds thing. I ended up at the food store, just when you were shooting these pictures and minus a few women shopping, it was deserted...and I liked that. Unfortunately for me, there was no food, either...sigh :-)
Yep, I definitely know what you mean there, Angel.
There have been times when I've been out on a saturday afternoon and on the way home I remember I "need" a few items at the supermarket. Then I get to the store and the lot is packed and I realize everybody's stocking up for the Eagles game festivities on sunday (and just a regular game!). Or sometimes the crowd is due to people preparing for a mere inch of snow being forecast.
On those occasions, I simply turn around and leave the lot without even trying to go in the store. There's never anything I need that desperately. I never even considered the corresponding lack of available stock on the shelves as a result, but you're right of course, that'd be yet another factor against shopping under those conditions.
P.S. I realize you were talking about shopping AFTER the crowds have left the store, but I was making the assumption that stock would be depleted from the store shelves even while the crowd is still generally coming and going.
As for deserted conditions, going to a shore town in a northern climate in early Feb is normally sufficient if you want to avoid a crowd. Being there in early Feb just prior to and during the Super Bowl guarantees almost total desertion. (And if the Eagles had been in the SB it would have been deserted because I wouldn't have been there either.) The one main street was virtually empty and that was a very good thing.
Speaking of driving... One thing I forgot to mention in the post is that I somehow neglected to make sure my camera's rechargeable batteries were fully charged before I left home. And I also forgot to make sure I had my spare set of regular AAs. (D'oh!)
I had taken most of the shots I wanted before the last bit of juice dribbled out of the rechargeables, but I still wanted to try a few more. so I drove the few miles back to the LBI cuaseway entrance to a 7-11 and picked up a four pack of Duracells, a bit overpriced I'm sure, but better than driving much further inland.
I just wanted to get back to the lighthouse end of the isle and take advantage of the ideal weather while I could. Shots 13-17 were with the hastily purchased Duracells, so I think they were worth the price even if all I got out of it was that last lighthouse pic.
Yes, I have done that, too. Usually when I am at an airshow and can't buy batteries!!!!!
They were worth the effort of getting. I like 13 - 17. Especially Orion. :-)
Orion...Orion O-R-I-O-N (an old camp song from my childhood)
am typing this 1 handed because one of the dogs sleeps on my left arm. nice pictures, i liked the sunset thumbnails a lot at first glance, but they're all good in their own right, eh?
also, got caught by the depression out of the shadows link all of a sudden.... wonder what Despondex would do to depressed people.... catch that fine dr wu onion link on the rumpus?
slinoma.
verify that lol
Thanks, Gina. No, I didn't check out Dr. Wu's link, but I get the reference just based on the comment you'd left in the RR.
I still have to carefully pick and choose what video links I oh-so-patiently wait for to load. Usually stuff that's more serious in some way is what interests me enough, but even then there's no rhyme or reason. In general, Onion frivolity, while possibly entertaining, isn't necessary enough to warrant the extensive page load time.
However, I just tried the page now and took the time to wait for it. And yes, it's funny because it's so true! Some folks can be annoyingly perky and for those folks, such a drug could be helpful (if only for the rest of us). Ah, the curse of being Steely Dan fans, eh?
beating a revived lighthouse
Funny! And great pics (fortunately, with no signs of a beating anywhere ;).
P.S. We are all staunch muters in my house.
Thanks, Eliz.
Glad to hear there's at least one other household of muters out there. That's usually the first (and only) button I wear out on a remote. The label is quickly worn off the button long before it stops working.
________________
Also, just a minor general note to anyone who happens to look here... I'm fine, there just hasn't been anything of late that I've felt compelled to blog about. I've considered a thing or two, but they aren't essential or particularly noteworthy in any significant way so I just didn't worry about it.
Post a Comment