I know I haven't been very bloggy lately. I'll sometimes go through stretches where even if I don't necessarily spend less time on the internet, I'm less publicly active.
However, in the past few weeks one particularly significant event transpired and it is long overdo that I blogged it. My friend and cousin-in-law Dan stayed with me for a couple weeks and while here he rebuilt my back steps which had been literally falling apart. He also showed me how to properly sand the cellar doors which were badly in need of repainting and then he did the actual painting.
I heartily thank him for his time, effort, and willingness to go very much out of his way (Alabama to New Jersey by way of Ohio) to help me out tremendously! He's always willing to do what he can to help friends and family with various projects and that's a very rare and commendable attitude in these hectic modern times.
Last but not least I know Mom and Dad would have been very pleased that he was doing the work. Words are not adequate, but...
THANK YOU, DAN!!!
Below are some sequential pictures, including one shot of Dan in front of the torn apart steps. Click the thumbnails to view the larger versions.


The first shot shows the crumbling steps. The day I stepped out on them and almost fell on my face—or butt, though come to think of it people tell me they're interchangeable anyway—because three joined bricks broke free as a unit was the day I roped the steps off to prevent folks from using them lest they fall and break their necks.
The second one shows Dan mixing the cement immediately prior to laying the new bricks. Behind him you can see what was left in place of the old bricks—not much.
Third shot shows the finished product and to me it looks beautiful. It's wonderful being able to use them and not wonder if they might give way if I happen to step in just the wrong spot. And if by any chance anyone should see what they perceive to be flaws, I assure you, gentle readers, that they are due entirely to my little bits of "help" in trying to do some of the finishing detail work on the mortar between bricks. I've never done that sort of thing before, but wanted to try learn what I could by observing the whole process and maybe doing just a little bit here and there along the way.
Last shot is simply of the repainted cellar doors, obviously. (You can sort of see them—prior to painting, partially sanded—in the background on the second pic.)
However, in the past few weeks one particularly significant event transpired and it is long overdo that I blogged it. My friend and cousin-in-law Dan stayed with me for a couple weeks and while here he rebuilt my back steps which had been literally falling apart. He also showed me how to properly sand the cellar doors which were badly in need of repainting and then he did the actual painting.
I heartily thank him for his time, effort, and willingness to go very much out of his way (Alabama to New Jersey by way of Ohio) to help me out tremendously! He's always willing to do what he can to help friends and family with various projects and that's a very rare and commendable attitude in these hectic modern times.
Last but not least I know Mom and Dad would have been very pleased that he was doing the work. Words are not adequate, but...
THANK YOU, DAN!!!
Below are some sequential pictures, including one shot of Dan in front of the torn apart steps. Click the thumbnails to view the larger versions.


The first shot shows the crumbling steps. The day I stepped out on them and almost fell on my face—or butt, though come to think of it people tell me they're interchangeable anyway—because three joined bricks broke free as a unit was the day I roped the steps off to prevent folks from using them lest they fall and break their necks.
The second one shows Dan mixing the cement immediately prior to laying the new bricks. Behind him you can see what was left in place of the old bricks—not much.
Third shot shows the finished product and to me it looks beautiful. It's wonderful being able to use them and not wonder if they might give way if I happen to step in just the wrong spot. And if by any chance anyone should see what they perceive to be flaws, I assure you, gentle readers, that they are due entirely to my little bits of "help" in trying to do some of the finishing detail work on the mortar between bricks. I've never done that sort of thing before, but wanted to try learn what I could by observing the whole process and maybe doing just a little bit here and there along the way.
Last shot is simply of the repainted cellar doors, obviously. (You can sort of see them—prior to painting, partially sanded—in the background on the second pic.)



No comments:
Post a Comment