Sometime within the past year I discovered that Google had implemented a capability to create a personalized Google page (later dubbed iGoogle). I tried it, liked it, and it has been my home page ever since. At the time, though, there was a limitation of only six tabs allowed.
Last night I happened to notice a clickable phrase which indicated I might be able to create a new seventh tab. I tried it and it worked, so I did a reorganization of my custom content, re-categorizing some of it onto two new tabs. This way I can now ensure that the content on most iGoogle tabs (with the unavoidable, but reasonable exception of my comics tabs) displays within the frame of my monitor with very limited scrolling necessary.
It's not that scrolling is a big deal, but my feeling on these custom tabs is that if I have so much info on one tab that I can't display it all in one 1024x768 screen, then I probably have too much info. It turns out that there is now supposedly no limit of iGoogle tabs allowed (as of around mid-June apparently).
Now with eight iGoogle tabs (click for a screen shot image) my custom content seems better organized and therefore slightly quicker loading per tab since I no longer have to jam some greatly unrelated content into one tab. I can view just the tabs I want to view at any particular time. Some tabs display new content often enough that I want to check them just about every time I iGoogle, but other tabs only need be checked once daily.
3 weeks ago



No comments:
Post a Comment