Welcome

For best results please use compatibility view...

Thank you for stopping by my blog. There is no particular theme or topic and no posting schedule either. This is just something I do for my own occasional enjoyment/interest as well as for friends and family, but others are welcome (although I don't go out of my way to self-promote—almost the opposite, in fact).

I urge potential first-time commenters to take the time to read the guidelines on the commenting form. Regardless of whether you comment or not I hope you find something of interest or enjoyable here...


Tuesday, November 11, 2008

How do they do THAT? *

I was browsing through a coupon pack from the sunday paper when I came across an ad for a "divine protection" hematite bracelet and the phrase at the bottom caught my eye...

'Images of Jesus on your wrist & IN YOUR HEART'?
Now certainly I understand that when they say "Images of Jesus on your wrist..." they don't mean literally right on your wrist like tattoos, but merely on the bracelet which you in turn wear on your wrist. Ok, fine.

I still can't help wondering, though, exactly what they mean by the latter part of the phrase. How would they go about achieving the placement of images of Jesus "...in your heart," either metaphorically or with any reasonable physical proximity? If they were selling an accompanying necklace, I could perhaps make some intuitive connection, but they're only selling bracelets. Besides, even if they were selling similarly designed necklaces I'd much rather see it phrased as "...over your heart," or better yet, "...close to your heart."

It doesn't help me understand the "heart" issue (unless it has something to do with the lower blood pressure), but here's the accompanying blurb box with some details about the bracelet...

Benefits of hematite?
Hmmm, something else I just noticed... The ad clearly states "Free Shipping & Handling when buying 2." To me that would imply that when buying two bracelets you will not be charged any S&H fee whatsoever. But if I correctly interpret the order form box...

$4.95 S&H for the 1st item, no additional S&H for 2nd
...what they seem to mean is that when buying two you will not be charged an additional S&H fee for the second bracelet. However, there will still be a $4.95 S&H fee for the first one.

That seems misleading or at least slightly confusing and contradictory to me. I think it would have been more accurate to have stated something like: "No additional S&H charge when buying a second bracelet." But then, of course, that would not have sounded as good, would it? (And what if you wanted to buy three, four, or more?)


* Please note that it is not my intention to make light of anyone's religious or spiritual beliefs nor their belief or hope in alternative medical therapies for that matter. Also, I offer no claims as to the efficacy of the product in question. I am only noting what struck me as a couple odd bits of phrasing in the advertisement.

2 comments:

angel said...

That "call now" "order now" thing is what is called a call to action in the commercial (infomercial) biz.

Such a No No in My world. :-)

Dimension Skipper said...

I agree, Angel. That urgent "Call now!" is always a huge waving red flag. The louder it's proclaimed, the more I ignore it—if I'd even had any interest to begin, but that's usually not the case so I guess it doesn't really matter.

Another one for me is when an advertiser (often a car dealer for some reason) implores viewers/listeners to "Hurry!" or "Rush on in!" My response to that one is usually: "It's not enough that I come in? I have to hurry?!" No, I don't think so.

One thing I know for certain... I would never have made it in the advertising biz in any capacity.