Welcome

For best results please use compatibility view...

Thank you for stopping by my blog. There is no particular theme or topic and no posting schedule either. This is just something I do for my own occasional enjoyment/interest as well as for friends and family, but others are welcome (although I don't go out of my way to self-promote—almost the opposite, in fact).

I urge potential first-time commenters to take the time to read the guidelines on the commenting form. Regardless of whether you comment or not I hope you find something of interest or enjoyable here...


Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Jane Espenson announces she's suffering from irregularity

Well... No, not really. Actually the announcement is that she's "taking a break" from her usual blogging ways of providing tips on how to write for TV shows.

I had indeed noticed that her posts have been coming far less frequently of late. I just chalked it up to her being busy with production issues on Battlestar Galactica and helping Joss Whedon polish his upcoming Dollhouse for FOX. (I read just yesterday that she's one of the Dollhouse writers and that's probably a very good thing given her track record on Whedon's Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, and Firefly.)

Now she has made it somewhat official that...

I simply have said almost everything that I have to say about writing for television.

It used to be the case that every time I wrote a scene—or watched a scene—a little nugget of writing advice would occur to me. But now I find that I'm consistently being reminded of points that I have already made, examples at which I have already pointed.

She goes on to say...

I'm not abandoning this space. I will probably post here from time to time as I continue to learn how to write, and I'll pass my realizations along to you. I may also use this space as I originally had planned to: as a place to notify you of airdates and personal appearances.

I hope that I will get a second wind, discover an untapped well of writing wisdom to share—I think sometimes it's necessary simply to practice what one does in order to learn more about how to convey the secrets of doing it.

I certainly understand her feeling. I too gave up my blogging this past summer (for possibly similar, but mostly different reasons) and only recently got back to it with the realization that I need to take a more relaxed and leisurely approach to posting. No more "Gee, I haven't posted anything for two days, so I'd better put something up...." Now if I go three weeks or even three months without a new post, then so be it.



Though Ms. Espenson may be blogging far less, I thought her announcement (and my announcement of her announcement) presented a good opportunity to point out that I recently added another link to my sidebar of blogs I enjoy... Dan Piraro's BizarroBlog.

Mr. Piraro is the man behind the comic strip, Bizarro. He often posts behind-the-scenes commentary about his strips. He's more politically partisan and opinionated on topical issues than I am, often in ways I'm not predisposed to myself, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying his humor most times. Mainly I like his directly strip-related material. I wish more cartoonists had blogs where they would do that. (Note that there is typically a delay of about a week or so from the time a strip is actually published to when he might blog anything about it.)

Even though Bizarro is not necessarily one of my top favorite strips, I like it well enough and I find that sometimes the blog enhances the humor. I found it when I noticed one day that the URL is included with each published Bizarro.

2 comments:

MetDeZachteG said...

that is a nice blog, the comic strip one.
there is just so much out there, isn't it?

Dimension Skipper said...

There sure is...

I would have highlighted BizarroBlog sooner were it not for, as I say, Mr. Piraro's pointedly partisan political posts which were particularly prevalent during the presidential polls.

And frankly I'd just as soon not risk appearing to delve into overtly political realms here, even if only indirectly by link.

Mr. Piraro's been traveling for the past week or two doing some personal appearances. When not on the road he has seemed to be more prolific in his blogging. And it's not always about his Bizarro strips, though I like those posts best.