Welcome

For best results please use compatibility view...

Thank you for stopping by my blog. There is no particular theme or topic and no posting schedule either. This is just something I do for my own occasional enjoyment/interest as well as for friends and family, but others are welcome (although I don't go out of my way to self-promote—almost the opposite, in fact).

I urge potential first-time commenters to take the time to read the guidelines on the commenting form. Regardless of whether you comment or not I hope you find something of interest or enjoyable here...


Saturday, April 25, 2009

Yahoo! yanking GeoCities free web hosting

I was surprised just now to see in my iGoogle Snopes new item feed that Yahoo! is shutting down their GeoCities free web hosting service. Apparently official word was given just a couple days ago that no new account signups will be accepted. Existing accounts will remain functional for now, but those will eventually disappear as well. Supposedly Yahoo! will be contacting users at some time this summer with tips as to how to save their hosted info. For now they (naturally) recommend users "upgrade" to their $5/mo hosting service.

I have a GeoCities account and even still use it. Most of the stuff I have there is not vital and I don't really care if it goes away. But I do have a small number of files there just for my own personal daily use. For now they will continue to work, but I am going to have to find some other means of hosting them, one which will allow me to freely upload new versions as I occasionally tweak them. (One of them even HAS to be tweaked weekly to continue to function properly the rest of the week.) It doesn't sound as if Yahoo! will be offering any means of continued free hosting. I mean, if they were then why shut GeoCities down at all... We shall see.

The files I use via GeoCities are valuable to me personally, but honestly not worth $5/mo (or $anything/mo). Even so, it's disappointing. Sigh.

1 comment:

angel said...

Hey my friend. I read about Geo Cities the other day and I thought of you. My sympathy.

BTW: Lots of questions on the DTV Transition going on here in NY right now. They all think that I know what I am doing. Ha!