Not right this minute, but... sometime midweek coming up.
I haven't mentioned it, but as of a few months ago (January) my cousin-in-law Dan's pancreatic cancer has officially returned (as I'd feared would happen given the tenacious and aggressive nature of pancreatic cancer, especially when not caught early as is often the case). He's been periodically flying to a special cancer facility in Tulsa for further checkups and treatment, though he's refused any more chemo from the start of this second go-round. He's a little tired of the flying and indicated he would like to try it as a road trip this time, but also admitted that it'd be a bit much for him alone, so he asked if I'd be willing to go along. The plan is a 940 mile trip to Alabama, a day or two to unkink the back, then another 750 miles to Oklahoma. Beyond that, who knows...
I realize I haven't been a blogging fiend lately, but thought I should at least mention this as a heads up. I've been busy trying to tend to certain things that need tending prior to departure and I don't really plan on bothering to post while on the road (which is not to say I won't, only that I don't plan to at this time). Not even sure how long I'll be away. So expect the blog dormancy to continue around here.
In the meantime, I hope everyone out there has an enjoyable Easter weekend, especially if the holiday is meaningful and relevant to your own personal belief system. And if that's not the case, well, then feel free to mentally translate my Easter wishes to more general Spring wishes or to any other similarly timed/occurring religiously affiliated ritual/ceremonial/holiday observance of your choice.
2 days ago



14 comments:
You know I care about you and yes, about Dan, too. Good luck my friend and drive safe.
Thank you, Angel!
Best wishes to your cousin...take care,
D.
Thank you too, Denise.
______________________
Any and all thoughts, wishes, good vibes, prayers for Dan are welcome and much appreciated if anyone gets the occasional chance to try to connect to their own personal version of the "Cosmic Wow" for any sort of miracle.
Got a lot done today. Tomorrow I should get to the actual packing. Departure should be either wed or thu, but no later.
Will try to stay somewhat virtually accessible and active if I can. If I have any updates (medical or of the trip in general) I'll probably just comment here rather than do a new post. It'll just be easier that way.
Just wanted to pop in quick and mention I made it to Alabama. Car was acting worse at each stop, but the last gas fill up it got bad enough for me to realize I needed to check the power steering fluid. Once I added that, it was back to normal.
hey Dimskip, best wishes to you and your cousin. well-wishing vibes can carry far, even across the big pond!
Thanks Gina! Much appreciated.
Dan and I will be off to Tulsa this evening. After a couple days there we'll then head to his brother-in-law's (my cousin) in Ohio for through sunday (18th). Then back to Alabama from there and eventually someday I'll head back to New Jersey. I'll be racking up unprecedented mileage and seeing some sites west of the Mississippi for the first time ever.
Dan is doing well for the time being, keeping busy with his home repair projects (for various people) as usual. The Tulsa checkup will give him some idea how he's doing medically, of course.
Am now in Cincinnati for the rest of the week/weekend. Have now added Missouri to the list of states I've travelled through.
I didn't think to look here for updates. I am glad to see some sign of where you are and how the trip is going. Glad the car trouble didn't require time in a repair shop and also glad to hear Dan is doing as well as he is. In small gifts, you both get to spend some time together and that is priceless.
I have been to Missouri and my favorite thing (besides Ted Drews) is going over the Mississippi River. It so defines this Country and totally makes my day, when I see it.
Well, actually I kind of forgot about updating here having been busy with other things and also not wanting to abuse visiting internet privileges...
Dan decided to head home from Cincy early (saturday a week ago) and we've been back in AL since. I figure I'll probably stay maybe another week or thereabouts. Just helping with projects here and there and providing a little company. Tried to post this comment earlier, but storms were disrupting the satellite internet service here. Just now trying again as it seems to be better and I'll take what I can get as I catch up a little.
I wasn't sure where you were. Glad for a more recent update and also glad that you are settled for now. I hear that there is definitely severe weather going on and it kind of worries me in regard to our train trip next weekend.
Hi to Dan.
Unless something really unforeseen comes up... Heading home in a couple/few hours. Probably roll back into NJ in the wee hours of SAT morning.
Made it home to NJ about 1:30 a.m. Not sure when I'll get back to blogging (either about the trip or in general), but just thought I'd at least mention that I'm home.
Spectacular sight of the trip home was almost at the end of the 495/95 loop around DC... Saw flashing lights ahead and traffic suddenly stopped. Slowly, but quickly got by though as their was a PT Cruiser on the side of the road completely engulfed in raging flames. Quite a sight in the dark night, but I felt bad for the folks involved. (I'm sure they got out as it was not an accident, just extreme bad luck that something overheated and caught fire.)
It must have only just happened as a fire truck was entering the highway down a ramp a little forward of the incident and was going to have to back up to where it was. If I'd been 10 minutes later I'm sure there would have been quite a traffic jam from all the commotion and gawkers.
Just afterwards, I realized that had I thought of it I probably could have grabbed my camera and tried to get a quick shot as I went by. Oh well. Perhaps just as well rather than potentially having my own accident trying to mess with a camera at night on a jammed road already littered with distractions.
Hey my friend. I just got home myself and figured I would check in with your blog. Glad to hear you made it back home safe and sound. When you feel like telling us how things are going, I am sure you will. Until then...see you in cyberspace.
Post a Comment