Welcome

For best results please use compatibility view...

Thank you for stopping by my blog. There is no particular theme or topic and no posting schedule either. This is just something I do for my own occasional enjoyment/interest as well as for friends and family, but others are welcome (although I don't go out of my way to self-promote—almost the opposite, in fact).

I urge potential first-time commenters to take the time to read the guidelines on the commenting form. Regardless of whether you comment or not I hope you find something of interest or enjoyable here...


Thursday, November 11, 2010

U.S. Veterans Day

Note: This post is mainly of relevance for U.S. citizens on this day, but potentially of use or interest to others too, I think, at least in regard to certain aspects, the ramifications of which are applicable each and every day...

The linked item below is not long and well worth reading imo. Please click it and read if you have a minute or two. It's not your standard by-the-numbers "inspirational puff piece" about honoring veterans. Instead it brings to light just a few actual issues that some vets (and those currently still serving) inevitably deal with and such issues should be recognized...

Honoring Soldiers When They Come Home
By John M Grohol, PsyD, at PsychCentral.com

I just think it helps provide some real perspective so that thanking a vet doesn't become mere rote lip service, something we just automatically do without really, REALLY recognizing the sacrifices—both actual and potential, seen and unseen—that soldiers are asked/required to make.

So ***THANK YOU*** to all who have served/are serving—especially willingly and honorably—in our U.S. military armed forces (in combat or not... and I will always much prefer 'not').
__________

¹ I hesitate to add this next section and yet I feel compelled to do so...

I don't feel it's at all contradictory to or disrespectful of the sentiment expressed above to say that I personally greatly long for the day when nations, ethnicities, and religions (not to mention individuals) finally figure out ways to resolve differences without armed conflict and hostility... Or at the very least learn to tolerate and maybe understand/respect valid differences, stopping well short of pure unreasoned or even willfully blind hatred and bigotry (based in fear) which serve no man and no purpose well.

In short, I hope that someday in the history of humanity there is no longer any "us vs. them," just an all-inclusive "us" (as humans) with mostly common goals and desires aimed toward the general betterment of all. (So much as that can even be determined or decided upon—I realize that this is one of those concepts very easy to express, yet in all probability almost impossible to implement with any agreed upon practicality. And plus such views are sometimes—often?—looked down upon as mamby-pamby goody-goody pie-in-the-sky peacenik tripe, or other and worse derogatory terms, but I don't care.)

Bringing myself back to my initial military theme... In a perfect world no one should ever be asked to give his/her life or take another. Sadly, I don't honestly see that day coming anytime soon within my lifetime, a few lifetimes, or a thousand or more lifetimes. And yet despite my pessimistic view of the chances of that world ever coming to pass (in this earthly realm anyway), I will never stop wishing for it.

"You may say I'm a dreamer. But I'm not the only one..."
__________

¹ Obviously this section consists of personal views of mine as best I can determine such at this particular point in time. Whether I expressed any of it clearly or well, I don't know. It doesn't really matter and I don't really care on that particular point. What really matters much more is the initial section and especially the linked article, so please, if nothing else I hope you at least read those. I just want to explicitly add here in re to my editorializing, though, that your opinions may vary either by degree or even in part or in full, but regardless no offense is intended on my part. I make no pronouncements of being "right" in any definitive sense, the views expressed are only what "feel right to me." So on a personal note, just thank you for reading and respecting them (assuming, of course, that you did and do).

3 comments:

Dimension Skipper said...

The item I link to in the post was actually published online yesterday. Today, Dr. Grohol features a very good companion piece...

In Honor of Those Who Serve, 2010

Dimension Skipper said...

Fairly lengthy article, but well worth the time imo...

Rifle squad honors vets with 57,000 goodbyes
By Sharon Cohen
Associated Press (appearing at MSNBC)

...In remembrance of those who made the ultimate sacrifice for their country.

angel said...

I totally agree with you. Unfortunately, I don't see it happening, either. The human races loss, IMHO.