Welcome

For best results please use compatibility view...

Thank you for stopping by my blog. There is no particular theme or topic and no posting schedule either. This is just something I do for my own occasional enjoyment/interest as well as for friends and family, but others are welcome (although I don't go out of my way to self-promote—almost the opposite, in fact).

I urge potential first-time commenters to take the time to read the guidelines on the commenting form. Regardless of whether you comment or not I hope you find something of interest or enjoyable here...


Thursday, September 23, 2010

Dimension skipping... literally?

Even though it's mere theoretical speculation at this point it was absolutely mandatory for me to post a link to this item...

Quantum foam, less dimensions

Dimensions vanish in quantum gravity
by Rachel Courtland at New Scientist (22 September 2010)

On tiny scales, 3D space may give way to mere lines.

So say researchers working on theories of quantum gravity, which aim to unite quantum mechanics with general relativity. They have recently noticed that several different quantum gravity theories all predict the same strange behaviour at small scales: fields and particles start to behave as if space is one-dimensional.

The observation could help unite these disparate ideas. "There are some strange coincidences here that might be pointing toward something important," says Steven Carlip at the University of California, Davis.

He has noted that the theories yield similar results and has come up with an explanation for how dimensions might vanish. "The hope is that we could use that to figure out what quantum gravity really is," he says.

Disappearing dimensions first came to light in 2005 in computer simulations by Renate Loll of Utrecht University in the Netherlands, and colleagues. They have been pursuing a quantum gravity idea known as causal dynamical triangulation.

. . . .

4 comments:

angel said...

It goes without saying, that you had to do so.

BTW: My son just got the book Flatland. They reference it in the article.

Dimension Skipper said...

I've long known OF the book Flatland, but never read it myself. Unlike today's modern tomes it's not very thick—quite thin actually. One might even call it, uh... flat.

:-)

It has mostly excellent reviews on Amazon. I hope your son enjoys it as much as most of the Amazonians must have.

angel said...

I thought the same thing, when the book showed up at my house. A flat book. LOL

MetDeZachteG said...

yes, and modern tomes :-)
sometimes a typo makes one wonder if i skipped a dimension, or two lol