I won't go into a lot of detailed explanations, just...
I got some of the standard typically touristy shots, of course, but also tried to get a different POV or two, most notably the one of the outside of the lantern room which I got by backing up into the "corner" of the observation deck restraining cage bars as much as I could and then stretching as tall as I could to raise my camera up high. (Wish I was taller or had a stool, but I still like the way the image turned out.)
The two spiral staircase images are from the ground floor looking up and then above looking down (after having climbed almost all the way up, only a short flight left). I like the shot looking down better, but I consider them appropriate "bookends" framing the walk up. In between those two shots imagine an ellipsis (...) with a little over 200 dots!
Apparently there's a blimp which patrols the shore this summer strictly for the purpose of advertising. ("Hey look, it's a blimp! Think I'll buy some insurance..." Yeah, right.) At first it stayed well clear of the lighthouse, but finally did venture close enough for me to get a good zoomed shot of it.
Last on the "worthy of at least some explanation" scale are two shots of a rusted mast sticking out of a sand dune. It's an old buried shipwreck at the 10th Street beach, which is kind of just around the (longish) block from the lighthouse. I have no idea of anything about the ship, when it wrecked (the year, day or night), or if the lighthouse was in operation at the time (probably not?). In the shot looking back at the mast from the beach you can see the lighthouse in the distance to the far right, though in reality I think it's much closer than it appears.
Other than that, just hover your mouse pointer over the thumbnails for a brief popup comment of explanation before clicking. Ok, so here are the pics (simply in the order I took them):




4 comments:
I had just mentioned to a friend who spent last week in Ocean City, if she ventured up as far as Barnegat...so it has been on my mind. Glad you spent the time to visit and I am glad you got some new views. I enjoyed the one with the shadow of the lighthouse on the area we walked on. :-)
Thanks, Angel... That shot is indeed another of my favorites. The light sand and concrete, the dark green water, the light and dark rocks, the green shrubbery, and of course the 2vN-ish shadow. There's a lot of natural contrast goin' on there. Plus the vertical drop perspective is further accentuated when you see the people on benches or walking from on high and almost directly above.
great shots as always!! don't be so scarce in cyberspace, dear friend. either way, you're on the mind from time to time which means there's people who value and appreciate your existence :-))
toodles
THANK YOU, Gina! I really, really do appreciate your saying that and I don't mean the "great shots" comment... More than you may ever know. Thank you for taking the time to say it. Be assured... you, Angel, and a handful of cyberfriends are often on my mind as well even though I be scarce at times, sometimes for extended periods.
I haven't had the blogging itch for a long time (obviously) and can't say I really do now either, but I wanted to at least get these fresh lighthouse pics up just to sort of say, "Yes, I'm still here" / "No, I haven't actually abandoned the place."
Lately I do seem to be trying (a little subconsciously, a little consciously) to distance myself from online a bit, but not for any particular reason other than maybe a general malaise, plus things to do out in the summer sunshine. Also, just as the real world can at times become a bit much, so too can cyberland. Life is endless cycles, ups and downs, summer and winter, eh... and perhaps there's not much difference between venues real or virtual so long as they're populated by people (or their avatars) and the all too human qualities connected therewith.
Please allow me to (unobligatedly, if that's a word) reciprocate in stating that I too value your presence in both the virtual world and the real one that the virtual one happens to be layered upon. Hope all is well for you on your half of the globe...
Post a Comment