I've uploaded a new sudoku file to my "hidden" page of Excel stuff on my geocities pics site (which I haven't updated in a long time, but with warm weather approaching I might start to put up something again once in a while).
I keep the Excel stuff "hidden" (i.e. I don't link to it from the main page) because the site is really just for pics and with some of the Excel files being fairly large, they would incur bandwidth limits in no time if they were to be accessed frequently (Ha!). Mostly the page is just there to maintain off-site backup copies and to point folks to it should I think anyone in particular might be interested in one or two of the files. (Due to my acknowledged lack of blog readership, I figure it's safe to post about it here without triggering a virtual stampede of sudden sudoku downloads.)
Anyway, the new sudoku file is a zipped one because it's over 3.5M in unzipped form. The change is that I've added a "Solution" tab so that once you input the starting grid layout, you can go to the solution tab and (usually) see the eventual answer right off the bat. The only time it seems to not work is for so-called "evil" puzzles (at websudoku.com)—in those cases it simply solves as far as it can.
Other than the solution tab, all else is as it was before. The file is the traditional 9x9 Sudoku format with the digits 1-9 allowed. You are able to tell the file to highlight particular digits to help you visually. There is also a "help grid" you can activate which will point out where certain digits can be placed next. And if you try to put a digit where it obviously doesn't belong, the file won't let you, although it is possible to input a digit in a wrong spot if the logic doesn't immediately show that it shouldn't go there. In such a case you will likely soon find that future digit placements won't be allowed (as the logic just doesn't work out) and you will have to backtrack via Excel undos.
2 days ago



No comments:
Post a Comment