Welcome

For best results please use compatibility view...

Thank you for stopping by my blog. There is no particular theme or topic and no posting schedule either. This is just something I do for my own occasional enjoyment/interest as well as for friends and family, but others are welcome (although I don't go out of my way to self-promote—almost the opposite, in fact).

I urge potential first-time commenters to take the time to read the guidelines on the commenting form. Regardless of whether you comment or not I hope you find something of interest or enjoyable here...


Thursday, March 1, 2007

Quackwatch added to sidebar

I haven't updated my recent CD spins in a while because I haven't been listening to any. I had a cold a couple weeks back and even though I'm over the "generally feeling miserable" phase, it has settled in my ears (as is often the case) and affected my hearing. Thus, no CDs and I don't know when I'll be able to get back to listening. For now talk radio will have to do rather than music.

I've been Googling for clues / hints / suggestions, anything that may at least appear to have a sound basis for providing relief, but without much luck. Other than the usual array of OTC meds (decongestants and such) most stuff seems to be (at best) on the fringe of quackery or in the tradition of old wives' tales.

For any medical condition you can name there seems to be no end of pet treatments and "miracle cures" detailed. Most sound like so much bunk right on the face of them. Others turn out to be bunk with just a slight Google scratch below the surface.

I often use the Snopes Urban Legends site to check out the various internet rumors and hoaxes that end up in my inbox. Well, there's a similar site for medical issues: Quackwatch. It's not nearly as much fun as Snopes for simple browsing, but it's useful for checking out all sorts of so-called alternative treatments. Usually the only thing they're alternative to is the proper proven treatment and sometimes they're even potentially harmful. I've added the link to the sidebar.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have you thought about seeing a doctor?