I've done a couple more simple custom compilations with obvious family themes.
For a long time I had only one collection of tunes by Larry Gatlin & The Gatlin Brothers—Biggest Hits. I enjoyed it whenever I'd listen to it, but it lacked certain essential songs like "Broken Lady," "Love Is Just A Game," and their famous signature tune "All The Gold In California." Then at some point I finally picked up the much more comprehensive collection The Best Of The Gatlins: All The Gold In California which contains eighteen songs including the obvious ones I wanted all along. Of course in the meantime I had found I really liked all but one of the songs on Biggest Hits, five of which are included on TBotG:ATGIC and five others which aren't. (The one song I didn't like, a duet with Janie Frickie, was one of those not included on TBotG:ATGIC.)
Even though I've now had both collections for a while, with my scanner back in reliable operating condition these days I finally decided to combine'em, so I tossed the four extra tunes from Biggest Hits that I like at the end of The Best Of The Gatlins: All The Gold In California, making it a twenty-two song collection.
Since I was on a family musical roll I also went ahead and combined my recent Judds purchases into one 2-CD set of hits. Essentially I took their two 10-song Greatest Hits collections (vol.'s one and two), plus the seven tracks from Love Can Build A Bridge that were not already on the GH CDs, and rolled'em all into one essential and even more comprehensive The Judds' Greatest Hits collection. (I had picked up LCBaB specifically to have the song "One Hundred And Two," but I found—somewhat to my surprise, I admit—that I liked the other songs a lot as well.)
As I mentioned before, The Judds were a little bit hit or miss with me back when they were popular (perhaps for biased reasons not necessarily having to do with their music). But now that time has passed, their popularity (and Wynona's) has waned, and I've perhaps matured some (though of course that's debatable) I seem to have a newfound appreciation for their music. I doubt I'll be buying any more Judds stuff real soon, but I'm certainly glad to have what I have. They were a big part of their era of country music. You might even say they were Brooks & Dunn before Brooks & Dunn came along (as far as their dominance in the field as a duo).
2 days ago



5 comments:
Dim Skip: I always find your musical entries of interest, even if I have no personal love of the Country genre. I do love watching how your mind works, when it comes to music and making stuff right. I seem to remember a Steely Dan CD that is just so much righter now, then it was when I sent it over to ya. ;-)
Thanks, Angel!
And of course, it's OK by me if you and most other Dan fans don't go for country music. I never try to force it on others.
Often the impetus for a custom CD is just to simplify my listening impulses. Now if I'm in the mood for The Gatlins I only have to grab one CD instead of two.
And when I do double CD sets, I put'em in a slimline double CD jewel case, so even though it's two CDs it only takes up the physical space of one CD on my music shelf. Combining my three Judds CDs into one 2-CD set compacts all the music down from three jewel cases to only one.
That sort of space saving can add up if you do a few such custom compilations here and there. (I just toss the original separate CDs in an out-of-the-way drawer.)
And speaking of certain naughty Dan items, I did my audio surgery thing on the recently found London gig. I can't help it, It's a curse. I just like to have tracks that start at logical points, like the start of a spoken song intro.
Hi,
Was surfing around via Angel's site and saw your site, lots of interesting things here. BTW, loved your post on the blue about the Leno thing. What a hoot!
Denise
Hi Denise, Thanks for stopping by!
Yeah, Angel runs a nice blog over there and she's much more diligent than I am about posting. She does so everyday and I just post something when the whim hits me.
BTW, I have comment moderation turned on, so that's why your comments didn't show up right away. Since both were pretty much the same, I just kept the first one you posted. Sorry for any confusion the moderation may have caused.
Oops. I also meant to add...
Thanks for the kind words as well, Denise.
:)
Post a Comment