Welcome

For best results please use compatibility view...

Thank you for stopping by my blog. There is no particular theme or topic and no posting schedule either. This is just something I do for my own occasional enjoyment/interest as well as for friends and family, but others are welcome (although I don't go out of my way to self-promote—almost the opposite, in fact).

I urge potential first-time commenters to take the time to read the guidelines on the commenting form. Regardless of whether you comment or not I hope you find something of interest or enjoyable here...


Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Spoonerizing dwarfs

I was in my local Wal-Mart tonight and as I passed the women's clothing area I happened to notice a sweatshirt with one of the seven dwarfs on it and possibly some witty saying. I didn't walk over to look at it more closely, but because of the way it was hanging the image of the dwarf and his name was somewhat obscured. At first I thought it was Dopey, but then realized it was Grumpy. And then just that quick (before you could say Mal-Wart) some obscure (il)logic circuit embedded deep in the hidden recesses of my strange brain powered up and spoonerized the two names as "Dumpy" and "Gropey."

I'm not sure why I mention it. I guess I just found it to be an amusing random thought. As for spoonerizing other dwarf names, would you believe "Slashful" and "Beepy?"

Let's see, there's Dopey, Grumpy, Doc, Happy, Bashful, Sneezy, and Sleepy...

"Sleazy" would work (especially with "Gropey"), but not the corresponding "Sneepy." "Slappy" works too, but "Heepy" not so much.

Oh well, I'm sure it's not an original idea and that all sorts of illegitimate dwarfs must have popped up over the years in various satires and spoofs, probably including some that were actual contenders as names way back when if these two pages are to be believed...

Rotten Tomatoes states: "Rejected dwarf names include Wheezy, Puffy, Stuffy, Burpy, Jumpy, Baldy, Nifty, Gabby, Stubby, and Deafy."

Wikipedia says: "The names of the Seven Dwarfs ('Bashful,' 'Doc,' 'Dopey,' 'Grumpy,' 'Happy,' 'Sleepy' and 'Sneezy') were created for this production, chosen from a pool of about fifty potentials. Blabby, Jumpy, Shifty, and Snoopy were among those that were rejected (along with Scrappy, Cranky, Dirty, Awful, Silly, Daffy, Flabby, Jaunty, Biggo Ego, Chesty, Bald, Gabby, Nifty, Sniffy, Burpy, Lazy, Puffy, Dizzy, Stuffy, Sleazy, Tipsy, Titsy and Tubby)."

But perhaps those stories are apocryphal. I really don't know. I just find it a little hard to believe that "Titsy" and "Sleazy" could have been given actual serious consideration... At least the ones they eventually went with seem relatively benign. "Dopey" would probably be the iffiest one of the bunch.

No comments: