I've noticed before that this online forecast service I like to use (through iGoogle) seems to lag behind others when there are rapid changes in the air. But I'm not usually all that worried about the weather—can't change it anyway—and I like the fact that it gives the forecast in plain English with chances of precipitation by percentage (plus actual snowfall accumulations), so no having to guess how to interpret some small or vague animated graphic which doesn't give any real detail, but otherwise looks good. Anyway...
The following image shows the upgraded weather forecast as of 8 PM GMT (3 PM my time?) for my zip code tonight through saturday night. In a word (still, and yet even more so)... "YUCK!"

There's even talk on TV that it could end up close to our pre-Christmas December storm which officially dumped two feet of the icky white stuff on us. They're also warning of official blizzard conditions occurring (visibility of a ¼-mile or less with wind gusts 35 mph or higher for at least three hours), especially so closer to the shore areas. To top it off they seem to be warning people more than usual this time about possibile power outages due to the snow, ice, and wind. We'll see.
Yup... another "fun" snow-plowin' weekend ahead. And it's always such a nice bonus to have those gusty winds in the face while plowing!* Sigh.
Oh well. It'll work out. I just really don't like snow. But on the plus side I do enjoy complaining about it! :-)
*If I wait until it all blows over to plow, there may be way too much for my little lawn tractor to push, to the point where I may not be able to properly clear areas I (or my neighbors) need/want clear. On the other hand if it ends up blowing so much that it just keeps filling in behind as I go, well, that gets discouraging.
RESULTS: I measured 14" (13-15" in a few non-drifted representative spots, so I averaged). Not too bad at all considering the dire predictions. And the wind was nothing like what they were calling for either. So no official "blizzard" as far as I was concerned. I wouldn't want any more than what we got, but at least it was manageable, much easier to deal with than the last big storm.
I haven't heard what the official amount was for my town—I think it was probably higher, just based on a couple reports I heard of nearby towns, but I don't know.



3 comments:
I am so sorry for all of you out in the East. Good luck.
Thanks. At least it's helpful (mostly, though for some folks I'm sure it's worse) when these things hit late afternoon/early evening on a friday, thus allowing maximum coping time without having to deal with typical work and school week concerns. (Though no doubt the younger kids would rather have a day or two off midweek.)
I'm sure skiers love it. They probably head for the hills early in anticipation.
PBS let staff out at 1PM. I was hoping they did that. Of course the uplink is still manned (and womanned), of course. No rest for transmission.
Post a Comment