Welcome

For best results please use compatibility view...

Thank you for stopping by my blog. There is no particular theme or topic and no posting schedule either. This is just something I do for my own occasional enjoyment/interest as well as for friends and family, but others are welcome (although I don't go out of my way to self-promote—almost the opposite, in fact).

I urge potential first-time commenters to take the time to read the guidelines on the commenting form. Regardless of whether you comment or not I hope you find something of interest or enjoyable here...


Friday, February 19, 2010

Zombie tag and the lure of cemeteries

I found this Tor.com blog item of interest and just felt it was worth posting a link to it...

Fame and the graveyard
By Jason Henninger

I liked the bits about playing zombie tag and some of the humorous gravestones, but also the idea that in death the famous and not-so-famous co-mingle. We probably think we know the stories of many of the famous people, but perhaps not. I wonder sometimes if what we "know" of some celebrities may be as much fiction as anything they are often a part of professionally.

And because we're such a celebrity-obsessed society (more so than ever, I think) it's easy to forget that even the not-so-famous have/had their own stories. I'm glad Mr. Henninger was able to find out at least something about Ashleigh. It's fascinating to me to read the few minor details of how she met her end, wonder what her life was like that led up to that end, and then to see that she is laying in eternal rest alongside some of the biggest Hollywood names ever.

I too have always been somewhat fascinated to look at various headstones when I'm in a cemetery (even though I don't know of any local "celebrity" graves). I note the dates, especially in old, old cemeteries, and wonder about the people and what their lives were like in their eras.

I never played zombie tag, though.

2 comments:

angel said...

I often check out the dates of people's birth and death and try to figure out what went on. Especially sad are the very young...

Rumor has it, this chick will lie in Forest Lawn Hollywood Hills, since I married a man with a pre-purchased cemetery plot. It still freaks me out, 30 years later. lol

Natuurlijk Evenwicht Equilibremael said...

there's often wonderful art on cemetaries...