These two songs appear as the third and fourth tracks on Hal Ketchum's Father Time, but I figure I have to feature them together for the "million" commonality. The album version of "Millionaire's Wife" can be heard on Hal's facebook page.
Following is a live performance of "Millionaire's Wife," but the clip comes in at the end of the first verse. Also, the third and fourth verses are flipped—no idea why. Although I guess logically the order doesn't really matter too much based on context. Musically the live version differs from the album track mainly by featuring an electric guitar and in backing vocals, so it sounds significantly different from the CD, but the live performance is very good in it's own right...
MILLIONAIRE’S WIFE
Performed by Hal Ketchum
From the album Father Time
______________________
There's a little motel in Jackson, Mississippi
Where I first made love to the millionaire's wife
Don't know to this day why she would want me
Bad enough to haunt me for the rest of my life
I tried to run from Jackson, Mississippi
I tried to leave the scandal and shame
But the millionaire's wife kept makin' it harder
Kept comin' around and callin' my name
Now the millionaire's wife is a millionaire's widow
I'm stuck here in this cold dark cell
She got a house and a long black Lincoln
I got a ticket straight to Hell
You can be the king of Jackson, Mississippi
You can own most everything in sight
But you better have more than a pocketful of money
If you come around me lookin' for a fight
Now the millionaire's wife is a millionaire's widow
I'm stuck here in this cold dark cell
She got a house and a long black Lincoln
I got a ticket straight to Hell (Woe is me!)
Now the word down here in Jackson, Mississippi
I'll never see the sun again
Blood will rain down on the jury
The judge will be the gallows' friend
Now the millionaire's wife is a millionaire's widow
I'm stuck here in this cold dark cell
She got a house and a long black Lincoln
I got a ticket straight to Hell
Now the millionaire's wife is a millionaire's widow
I'm stuck here in this cold dark cell
She got a house and a long black Lincoln
I got a ticket straight to Hell
She got a house and a long black Lincoln
I got a ticket straight to Hell
Then there's "Million Dollar Baby." It isn't as complex lyrically, but I love the sound/feel of it. Unfortunately I couldn't find any YouTube links and it's not featured on Hal's facebook page either so all I can do is present the lyric here (though you can hear a short clip on Hal's website)...
MILLION DOLLAR BABY
Performed by Hal Ketchum
From the album Father Time
____________________________
I've got a million dollar baby
She's got a million dollar smile
When it comes to what I'm needin'
She always goes the extra mile
Sunset comes, the day is done
Ain't nobody but me
And my million dollar baby
There's a thousand little whispers
From Paris to Marseille
Between a dreamer and a drifter
With not a penny to their name
Sunset comes, the day is done
I got everything I need
In my million dollar baby
Stars are sleepin'
The dawn is breakin'
The songbird's on the wire
And he's singin' just for me
And my million dollar baby
Don't need much of anything
Just a road we've never been down
And another song to sing
Sunset comes, the day is done
Two old souls forever young
Rich in sweet, sweet harmony, that's me
And my million dollar baby
And my million dollar baby
And my million dollar, my million dollar baby
My million dollar, my million dollar baby
And my million dollar baby
2 days ago



No comments:
Post a Comment