I don't know if any of these live performances were before or after Hal Ketchum recorded the songs on his Father Time CD. There can be differences. In this one the second verse in the live vid starts out "There's a picture in Salem of a dashing young cowboy..." (At least that's how I hear it.) Not really a significant difference, but I like the CD wording a little better, I think. Also, the CD track has no chorus between the first and second verses, but in the video he slides it on in there. Finally, then he eliminates the third/last verse altogether. With or without the first chorus and the slight word alteration of the second verse are both fine by me, but the third verse needs to be there imo as it's not in any way inferior to the first two. (Unfortunately the CD version doesn't appear to be available for easy comparison listening anywhere.)
Another great song that paints an emotion-packed picture...
YESTERDAY'S GONE
Performed by Hal Ketchum
From the album Father Time
______________________________
There's a cardigan sweater on an old wooden hanger
In the back of the closet at the end of the hall
My grandfather wore it for 35 years
Now he don't wear it at all
He sits in the shade at the end of his journey
In a home for the tired, the old and confused
Tell me where have they hidden the soul
Of the man I once knew?
There's a faded old photo of a dashing young cowboy
Dressed to the nines for a night on the town
It's him in the middle surrounded by people
That lit up when he came around
Where are the angels sent down to protect him?
Am I all that's left of his line?
Are we two hearts together, the young and the weary
Fading one beat at a time?
Where is the giant that lived in his body?
Where is the mountain that he stood upon?
It's hard to believe as I sit here and hold him
How mountains will crumble and yesterday's gone
There's a corner in Heaven for callused old heroes
A place where a good man can finally rest
Paid for by promises, toil and tears
By a soul who did only his best
We sit here together knowin' that train's a comin'
And Heaven's just one stop away
I savor the gift of his hand on my shoulder
Here at the end of the day
Where is the giant that lived in his body?
Where is the mountain that he stood upon?
It's hard to believe as I sit here and hold him
How mountains will crumble and yesterday's gone
It's hard to believe as I sit here and hold him
How mountains will crumble and yesterday's gone
2 days ago



2 comments:
I have not heard it yet...though I plan to in a few, but just from the lyrics, I can see the connection between you and your Dad coming through. Which is a good thing.
Oh, the cardigan sweater reminds me so much of Mister Rogers. :-)
Well, there are elements that I'm sure would remind many of lost loved ones, so many people should be able to relate, but yeah it has a special meaning for me for both my Dad and my Grandfather.
I hadn't thought of Mr. Rogers, but you're right.
The song employs vivid imagery and I like the details throughout.
Post a Comment