Welcome

For best results please use compatibility view...

Thank you for stopping by my blog. There is no particular theme or topic and no posting schedule either. This is just something I do for my own occasional enjoyment/interest as well as for friends and family, but others are welcome (although I don't go out of my way to self-promote—almost the opposite, in fact).

I urge potential first-time commenters to take the time to read the guidelines on the commenting form. Regardless of whether you comment or not I hope you find something of interest or enjoyable here...


Friday, July 23, 2010

Someone left his cake out in the Fresh Air

Today's Fresh Air program on NPR featured a rebroadcast of a 2004 interview with Jimmy Webb. I'd never heard it before so it was interesting to me. (Plus I just really wanted to use that post title.)

Unfortunately, in the accompanying write-up on that page the first time he's mentioned by name they dub him Jimmy WEST! I mean, come on, the guy is fairly famous AND the featured guest—they could at least get his name right. That bugged me enough to register so I could leave a comment pointing out the error.

UPDATED 7/26: Now that the weekend is over, I see they've corrected the typo from West back to Webb. Good to see that they pay attention to the comments over at NPR/Fresh Air.

3 comments:

angel said...

I LOVE Jimmy Webb! As you may remember, especially Wichita Lineman. I love when Jimmy is talking about the silly line from that song and that everyone loves it so much. HA!

"And I need you more than want you.
And I want you for all time.
And the Wichita Lineman,
is still on the line."

Dimension Skipper said...

I'd forgotten that you'd quoted the song in your blog before!

I liked that bit too about "Wichita Lineman." The line never bothered me. I've heard that sort of "false rhyme" in many a song over the years, but to me when you're singing and drawing syllables out the "problem" often isn't noticeable.

Heck, Harry Chapin's "30,000 lbs. of Bananas" doesn't come close to rhyming through parts of it and seems oddly metered (to me) when it does, but it still works due to the uniqueness of the song, the bulding pace of it.

Webb says he would have found a way to make his WL line rhyme if he were writing it today. I wonder how it would turn out if he "fixed" it. I can't imagine it being any better in any sense except technically... It's perfect just the way it is.

And Freedy Johnston's not bad, but he can't beat Glen Campbell. Dwight Yoakam did a revved up version on his "Under The Covers" album which I like a lot (I think I probably mentioned it to you before, Angel). Still not better than Campbell's version, but a very enjoyable and quite interesting take imo. Think of it like Donald Fagen's solo concert version of "Here At The Western World" vs. the traditional album cut

angel said...

It's like a painter hating part of a painting...the same feeling that you could have made it even better. I love the song and yes, I do believe you mentioned the cover of it. :-)