Welcome

For best results please use compatibility view...

Thank you for stopping by my blog. There is no particular theme or topic and no posting schedule either. This is just something I do for my own occasional enjoyment/interest as well as for friends and family, but others are welcome (although I don't go out of my way to self-promote—almost the opposite, in fact).

I urge potential first-time commenters to take the time to read the guidelines on the commenting form. Regardless of whether you comment or not I hope you find something of interest or enjoyable here...


Monday, June 28, 2010

Dan's Funeral

These are some pics from Dan's funeral and related gatherings. They are in simple chronological order, not a lot of commentary to add to most of them so I'll just let them speak for themselves...

Some family gathered 'round the table at Donna & Dan's son's place     Some family gathered in the living room     Donna's Mother holding her great granddaughter, Keira

Some of the kids snuggled on the couch     Render & Resa, two of Donna & Dan's good friends and close neighbors (at the funeral home viewing)     Shirley & Jack, two more good friends and neighbors from just half a mile down the road (on their porch prior to leaving for the funeral)


I do have some commentary at this point...

Resa and Render are a lovely couple who live about five miles from Donna & Dan. From what I hear, Resa became something of an adoptive Mother figure to them when they moved there. Dan told me how Resa would make a lot of homemade soup for them and provide lots of food from their garden for them too.

Readers may recall that Jack and Shirley are the neighbors for whom Dan did his last construction project, expanding their porch deck and enclosing it (as much as possible before the work got to be too much for him). While I was in Alabama in April Dan and I spent a lot of time there chatting with Jack and Shirley during rest breaks and they always made me feel comfortable and welcome.

So when it came time to head back down to Alabama for the funeral, I broached the idea that perhaps (if it was OK with them, but no expectation or obligation whatsoever) I might be able to spend a few nights at their place. I didn't care if they had a spare bedroom, a couch, whatever. It would simply be a place to lay my head at night and then during the days I would easily walk to Donna and Dan's house right down the road. (With their daughter and her large-ish family in town, I knew there'd be no extra room there for me to stay.) I also knew that the church and neighbors would see that there was plenty of food on hand at Donna's house, so I figured I'd just grab small meals there as needed.

Jack and Shirley didn't hesitate in the least and graciously said they'd be glad to have me stay there, anything to help out. To me, this seemed like a very appropriate way to handle things because I know Dan always believed in "Why stay in a hotel when you can stay with family or friends?" Plus the convenient location certainly couldn't be beat.

There is one last little bit of irony or synchronicity or whatever that is just somehow appropriate. As it turns out Jack and Shirley do not have a spare bed or bedroom, just a living room couch. As I said, that was perfectly fine by me. It became very appropriate, though, when they told me that Dan himself had recently spent time on that couch too. Apparently after I left Alabama in early May, he was feeling so bad most every day that he went down to Jack and Shirley's and spent time there on the couch, close to the bathroom in case he would feel nauseous. With Donna continuing to work, Dan didn't want to be alone at his own house.. not only out of fear that something might happen to him, but also because if something did he didn't want Donna to have to come home in the evening and find him dead. (Of course, he didn't actually tell Donna that!)

On a personal note, I cannot thank Jack and Shirley enough for their kindness in allowing me to share their home for a few nights, even loaning me a key so I could get in if they weren't around. I enjoyed chatting with them some more each morning and most evenings. I was only sorry I couldn't actually spend more time with THEM, but under the circumstances I know they understood that my priorities were elsewhere, especially given limited time.

One last aside... Jack tells the funny story of when he first met Donna and Dan. They had bought the land where their house is now and Dan had been running equipment during the day to clear trees and whatever in preparation for buiding the house. Then he and Donna were spending the night in... a tent, I think, but I could be wrong, it could have been a vehicle of some sort. I'm sure I'm missing a lot of details, but the gist is that Jack introduced himself and insisted that Dan and Donna should spend the nights at their place where they could bathe rather than in a cold tent (it was winter and it DOES get cold at night in Alabama). As Jack tells the story, the first thing Dan did at their place was to ask if he could use the phone to call his daughter in Florida (at the time). Jack said yes and Dan called, saying right off: "I must really STINK because there's a man here could smell me a half a mile away and said I should come to his place to get a shower!"

And on that note, back to the pics. I left some these at the larger 1024x768 size (the setting I always use on my old camera) to preserve details. These are from the actual funeral at the graveside (after the memorial service inside the church) and then from the luncheon afterwards in the church community room. (There was TONS of food, all of it delicious!)...

Waiting to unload Dan's casket at graveside     Graveside service, my cousin and Dan's brother-in-law Dave speaking     Taps

Dan's son folding the casket flag     Presentation of flag to Donna


Post-funeral luncheon and more family shots...

Food!     A cousin of mine holding Keira     Donna & Dan's son, HIS son and his wife

Pretty much the entire clan, at least those that could make the trip from various parts of the country anyway     Donna & Dan's daughter and her family (minus one, her husband's son who just could not make it)     Donna & Dan's son again with his wife, their daughters, and his son again

5 comments:

angel said...

Nice photos. I am sure Dan approved of the funeral. It looked like an honorable send off.

Unknown said...

This is a lovely tribute to your cousin.

Dimension Skipper said...

Thank you, Angel & Denise. Dan was a unique and special person and he will be missed by many.

He had as a favorite quote (though I don't know if it's from something or if it's his own) on his facebook page...

"I can not do everything, but I can do something. Because I can do something, I refuse to stand by and do nothing."

For Dan that was not boasting or trying to promote an image, it was a credo that he truly tried to live by and it showed. It didn't matter if you were family, friend, or stranger, if he saw a need and he could do something about it, he did.

Plus, when my Mom was around and struggling through some difficult issues/problems he was one of the few who could lift her spirits when he visited. That was so welcome even if the effect inevitably only lasted a short while.

MetDeZachteG said...

yes, i agree. beautiful send off and also a somewhat funful write up, because there is always laughter too :-)

Dimension Skipper said...

Thank you, Gina. And I apologize for the delay in approving your comment as I was away for a couple days without any PC access whatsoever.