Unless something changes abruptly for unforeseeable reasons I will be hitching a ride with other local clan members to head back to Alabama as of tomorrow morning. Since one person involved is my aunt—Donna's 81-year-old mother—who had major neck surgery earlier this year, we will be making the drive in two days each way with a midpoint stopover going and coming.
Dan's service's are scheduled for thursday and friday. We should arrive in Alabama tuesday evening, leave saturday morning, and arrive back in NJ by sunday evening if all goes well.
Busy figuring out what I need to pack, what I have in the way of "funeral clothes" that will reasonably fit me and all that sort of logistical stuff. I'll try to get back to posting pics from the previous trip when I can. Don't know if I'll take many new pics as it should be a few days chocked full with all sorts of hubbub, stuff like helping to coordinate comings and goings, airport runs, food runs, who knows what...
2 days ago



7 comments:
It always sounds so lame, but I am so sorry for your loss.
Safe travels, my friend.
So very sorry about Dan. You must have been a great comfort to him on your trip, and it's truly sad that his last effort was not successful, even for a brief period of time. My deepest sympathy. Denise
Hey, I don't care if it sounds lame, it's definitely NOT. Thanks! (Approved this from Charlotte, NC. Will likely not be doing much, if any, internetting from Alabama this time due to other activities.)
Thank you, Denise. Terribly sad, of course, but unfortunately also not very surprising given what I generally hear/know about pancreatic cancer. It's one of, if not THE most, aggressive hard-to-beat cancers around. I don't recall the percentages offhand, but the 5-year survival rate is absolutely abysmal. It's hard to diagnose and therefore it just usually isn't caught anywhere near in time for treatment to do much good. Dan was originally given six months to a year and he ended up living a year and a half, so I guess his first round of treatments bought him a little time anyway. And despite the treatments at CTCA Tulsa not working (at least not curing him) he really really liked the place and was enthusiastic about it while he still had hope. Thanks again...
ah, yes, sorry for your loss, but in a way you helped to keep him alive by blogging about him and well, introducing him to us too in here...
a safe trip
Do at least let us know when you arrive back to Jersey. So we know you made it back, safe and sound.
Sorry, I've had verylimited internet access on this trip, just maybe 10 minutes a day so have been keeping my surfing to bare minimum. Stayed in Durham, NC, last night and am using the lobby PC for a few minutes. Waiting for rest of family to come down to the "free breakfast" at 7. I took a walk and ate at Waffle House down the road already. The fam do not sound to be WH fans, but I like'em (though they ain't fancy) and since there are NONE in NJ, I wanted to take the opportunity while it presented itself. Should easily be home by this evening barring unforeseen consequences.
Post a Comment