By late in my stay, Dan was really not feeling well. He had started getting abdominal swelling due to fluid retention buildup called ascites (which is typically found with liver disease, but is also fairly common with serious illlnesses such as pancreatic cancer in late stages apparently). Of course, at the time he really didn't know what it was, only that he had the swelling/pressure and it made it hard for him to work or even breathe right in the increasing daily heat of late spring.
He managed to make it to Grandparents' Day at his granddaughters' school though. Of course, Dan's wife Donna (my cousin) went as well. I went along too as sort of an honorary grandparent—or technically a "grandpal," I guess, since the program lists that alternative designation for the day, but I'm sure that's mainly for any kids whose grandparents are deceased or otherwise unavailable. I was also able to serve as unofficial family photographer for the event so that Donna and Dan could just enjoy the program.
Their granddaughters are Courtney (7) and Kaitlynne (5 at the time, 6 now as of the day before Dan died and I was sooo glad that he didn't die on her birthday). The program was entitled "Luigi's Baton and the Orchestra Family Reunion" and consisted mostly of a pre-recorded narration by "Luigi's baton" discussing various musical instruments, what family they belong to, what they look like (and differences), how they sound (and differences), and what they generally contribute to music's emotion.
After the program everyone adjourned to visit their rspective grandkids' classrooms for a few moments. Following are some pictures...


Dan's roses were starting to bloom well so I took a few pics of those too...




2 comments:
Hey another Dan post...and a happy one at that. :-)
I was glad to see a photo of you, too! Such a rare thing.
Well, I was saving this one for last (re my initial visit) because chronologically it was last and also because it has some of the better family shots. Plus flowers, you can't go wrong with flowers.
Personally I'm never that thrilled with having my picture taken, but I thought that one with me and the girls was one of the better ones I've seen. Usually I prefer to be behind the lens rather than in front.
I do have one more Dan post in the works (don't know when), but it will mostly just be a collection of family pics from the funeral gatherings with a few from the graveside service as well.
Post a Comment