Welcome

For best results please use compatibility view...

Thank you for stopping by my blog. There is no particular theme or topic and no posting schedule either. This is just something I do for my own occasional enjoyment/interest as well as for friends and family, but others are welcome (although I don't go out of my way to self-promote—almost the opposite, in fact).

I urge potential first-time commenters to take the time to read the guidelines on the commenting form. Regardless of whether you comment or not I hope you find something of interest or enjoyable here...


Thursday, June 3, 2010

[UPDATED] Probably heading back to 'Bama again soon

UPDATE... June 4: Dan's struggle with pancreatic cancer officially ended this afternoon. There are, of course, still a lot of details to be ironed out before we, the NJ branch of the family, will know of a timetable for services and be able to specifically plan when to depart NJ, who's going to stay where in AL and for how long, etc.
________________

I've been holding off on posting pics of my previous AL to OK to OH and back to AL excursion for a couple reasons... 1) I just haven't been in blogging mode or mood, and 2) I was kind of waiting to see how things might go for Dan.

Well, I still can't say I'm much in the mood for donning my blogging cap, but as for Dan the news is worsening (though not necessarily surprising)...

When I left Alabama, I knew he was not good, but I had to get back home for my own reasons after having spent a month away. Dan wanted me to stay longer and I know he appreciated me being there, but I hope he understood. The following day after I left he had to go in the hospital in Alabama because he'd developed some abdominal bloating which was really affecting him. It was a condition called "ascites" if I remember correctly. It's fluid retention, especially abdominal, that is associated with major diseases, including cancer (obviously), COPD, and a few others. Once he had the fluid drained he felt better, but it also quickly returned, so the relief did not last. Obviously that wasn't a good sign.

He was scheduled to return to Tulsa on May 23rd, but he ended up cancelling that as he just didn't feel like flying again (since I wasn't around to help him do the drive again, but I don't think he could handle driving or riding that far any more than he could handle flying). Besides, he'd been able to get his pain meds (advanced pancreatic cancer is very painful) through one of his local Alabama doctors after all, so he didn't feel like the trip to Tulsa would really benefit him much, I guess.

(And btw, I think I've mentioned it before, but if anyone ever gets diagnosed with pancreatitis, I highly recommend that they urgently encourage followup tests [as frequently as possible for a good while], anything which may have a chance of spotting onrushing pancreatic cancer. The sooner you catch it, the better the chances of beating it, but it all too often goes completely undetected until it has already reached the inoperable stage. Treatment then is an even greater ordeal, it may or may not work, and even if it works it may be only a temporary remission as pancreatic cancer may be the most aggressive form of cancer one could have. I'm not any sort of expert and don't claim to be—that's just my layman's opinion.)

Though now having cancelled the Tulsa trip, immediately after his return from there Dan and Donna were scheduled to fly together to California on the 27th because their daughter had been pregnant with another grandchild who was due any day. Knowing that he would not be able to handle flying too well, I'm sure that he really wanted to save his remaining stamina for THIS second scheduled trip. Their daughter and her husband both have kids from prior marriages, but this baby was their first child together even though she's 40 (it wasn't planned apparently, but oh well... life happens).

After some problems with pre-eclampsia, little Keira Tippani was born just a day or two prior to Donna and Dan's arrival in California (below Sacramento and east of San Francisco). However, the flight did indeed take its toll on Dan and he had to be admitted to the hospital early the next day (I think). I have no idea if it was the same hospital where the baby was born or not. Turned out he had an infection, plus the fluid, plus the usual (or more) pain. While he was obviously not well, it was hoped that would be able to get better enough to be released to his daughter's home under hospice care.

As of today, though, the news has only gotten worse. First came word that Dan had suffered a pulmonary embolism and was on oxygen, but not responsive. Later reports indicated a possible stroke and/or pooling of fluid in the lower extremities indicative of his body just gradually beginning to shut down. I may not have all the details perfectly accurate at this point, but the gist is that he's essentially gone now (not awake or aware) and it's just a matter of how long his body will proceed on auto-pilot before finally yielding to the inevitable.

The worst part of all this (imo) is that due to the infection(s) he was never able to see (let alone hold) his newest granddaughter. He had told me when I was in Alabama that in his family there's always been a sort of pattern (tradition?) that when a baby is born there would be a death right before, someone who would never get to see the new life. I tried to tell him that he didn't KNOW that would happen in his case, but for all intents and purposes, I guess it did after all. He really didn't have to go to such lengths just to prove himself right. (Sorry, a touch of gallows humor there.) I guess it will have to be enough that at least he lived long enough to know that Keira had arrived safe and sound and I'm sure he must have seen a picture or two.

So at this point it could be a matter of days or a week (or it could be in the next five minutes or even have already happened), but Dan's end is near and I will simply leave it at that. I admired many of Dan's traits and will greatly miss him.

Donna will have the unenviable task now of figuring out exactly what's involved in transporting a body from California back to Alabama. Luckily she has her daughter (and family) there to help and her son has also flown out there to be with them as well and accompany his Mother back home. I have no idea who of their daughter's family will fly back to Alabama for funeral services as the new baby is also important in the whole mix. Who knows, maybe they'll even do some sort of service first out there, then another one back in Alabama.

There is a LOT to figure out on their end. Once everything is arranged and we have a schedule of some sort in hand, it is very likely that I and other members of the local clan will head back down to Alabama for the funeral. Obviusly, I have no idea when that will be nor how long we (or I) might stay.

In the meantime, as I feel like it, I hope to be able to finally post some pictures of my trip with Dan to Oklahoma, Ohio, and back to Alabama. Maybe I'll get them mostly posted before I have to leave, but I might not—depends on timing and uncontrollable circumstances. At this point, I guess I'm just hoping for Dan and Donna's sake that he will not be suffering nor linger too long when the end is obviously so near.

Safe journey to whatever lies beyond, my friend. May your soul be gently welcomed and cradled in your Lord and Savior's loving arms.

Now I'll close this entry with one of Dan's favorite Bible passages:

Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
        —Isaiah 40:28-31

2 comments:

angel said...

I am, of course, so sorry to hear this. My best to you at this hard time and my prayers for Dan.

Dimension Skipper said...

Thank you, Angel.

It's just a waiting game at this point on two fronts... 1) When will Dan finally succumb?, and 2) What sort of hoops will Donna and his immediate family have to jump through to transport his body back to Alabama (and the timing of when it can all be accomplished)? Will definitely take some major coordination.