I was channel surfing this afternoon and came across an infomercial for I-don't-quite-know-what, but it involved the Phoenix Coyotes' trainer (or possibly an assistant trainer, I'm not sure) touting some sort of medical product, some kind of patch which I assume delivers electrical impulses to whatever portion of the anatomy to which you care to affix it. The point I want to make, though, has absolutely nothing to do with the product or its possible effectiveness.
The Coyotes' trainer was shown talking about the item and he said something like... I'm proud to incorporate the [insert name of product] into our regime of treatment protocols.
OK. He couldn't just say This is an effective product and my staff and the players really like it? Why do people have to use $5 words when 5¢ words will suffice? The makers of the infomercial probably feel that the fancier words sound more authoritative and lend a certain seriousness of tone and therefore believability to the spot. I just thought the guy sounded like someone who has been in too many corporate meetings and soaked up the buzzwords.
2 days ago



No comments:
Post a Comment