Welcome

For best results please use compatibility view...

Thank you for stopping by my blog. There is no particular theme or topic and no posting schedule either. This is just something I do for my own occasional enjoyment/interest as well as for friends and family, but others are welcome (although I don't go out of my way to self-promote—almost the opposite, in fact).

I urge potential first-time commenters to take the time to read the guidelines on the commenting form. Regardless of whether you comment or not I hope you find something of interest or enjoyable here...


Wednesday, October 18, 2006

A sense of style

This has perplexed me for a while. I don't understand the word "lifestyle."

I see the word used here and there, typically in advertising where it might appear like so: "...our product fits your busy lifestyle."

My issue is that I associate the word "style" with fashion, as in consumerism and keeping up with the proverbial Joneses. No doubt some folks do this, but I don't think that I've ever done it (not consciously anyway). I don't usually care about fashion with regards to clothing or other areas.

In my mind "style" or "fashion" was a marketing gimmick thought up by companies and manufacturers as a means to an end—i.e. revenue generation. Companies were no longer satisfied to provide a product/service when or if people needed it, so they had to come up with a way to convince people that they need the product/service sooner. And thus the notion of "Fashion/Style" was created.

Of course, I freely admit that I have no historical or factual basis for that idea and I'm likely just plain wrong about the origin of the concept. My view probably just reflects my basic cynical nature. Regardless, when it comes to a "lifestyle" I prefer to drop the "style" and retain the "life." Maybe that's just me.

So if I see the word "lifestyle" in an advertisement, it's a significant clue that I don't need to read/listen/view any more about the product in question. They're in pursuit of a different kind of consumer.

No comments: