So in my previous post I said I was working on a MySpace page just to see what all the fuss is about, but I wasn't really "getting" it...
Well, I've worked with it some more and I still think it's kind of a cobbled-together concept not all that intuitive to work with, but I found this pimp my profile site which has a decent MySpace editor/layout generator available for free use.
Of course, "decent" is a relative term—it's still not what I would describe as easy to work with. But like many things in life the more you fool around with it, the more familiar it becomes and it at least begins to seem manageable. It helps that I saved a separate Word file with the custom HTML code that gets generated by the editor so that I could then add in comments as visual aids. MySpace doesn't seem to like when I put comments directly in my profile where I wanted to put them to show just where I have to change numeric values to adjust various color settings. The comments, even in a Word file for off-space reference only, make it easier to quickly navigate right to what I want to change.
I also set up a background image I like.
Other than the page you see when you go there, there's nothing else really. Eventually I may put up a few more pics separate from my geocities Dimension Skipper's pics site, but probably not too much. In theory I could do a blog over there, but I doubt it. If I do anything that way I'll probably just try to link folks right over to this blog which I already know and love.
So I guess that only leaves the official unveiling of (here goes...) Dimension Skipper's space. I've added a link to it over in my miscellaneous links sidebar section as well.
A TACKED-ON UPDATE:
(Friday, October 27)
By browsing other MySpace pages, those of folks I kinda sorta already "know" from the various Steely Dan fan boards, I found a site called killerkiwi.net which has an even easier to use MySpace editor/layout generator.
The one problem I see with it, though, is that it doesn't give as many options for various bits of text colors as the pimp-my-profile editor does. If the two editors could be merged into one (and maybe there is such a thing somewhere, but I haven't found it) you'd have one really great tool on your hands. As it is, I've saved the code generated by each editor and by comparing and contrasting the two outputs it may be possible to figure out ways to manually combine the two generated outputs thereby creating even more flexibility for the potential look of a MySpace page. Doing things manually is, of course, a pain in the anatomy somewhere, but oh well...
Oh yeah, I also added the previously threatened blog entry over at MySpace which just simply links clickers to here, albeit with my longwinded way of explaining things, but that can't be helped.
A TACKED-ON UPDATE II:
(Tuesday, November 14)
It's been a while since I did any more tweaking of "my space", but I should have mentioned here a couple weeks ago that I actually did find a way to insert comments in the "pimped" myspace template.
I manually insert .DOC { ... } statements—the ellipsis is replaced by the actual comment.
When I mentioned above that commenting didn't seem to work I had been trying the more traditional commenting methods for HTML/CSS of /* ... */, but that just didn't work because saving the myspace profile changes seemed to automatically remove the plain text comments from the saved version.
2 days ago



No comments:
Post a Comment