Welcome

For best results please use compatibility view...

Thank you for stopping by my blog. There is no particular theme or topic and no posting schedule either. This is just something I do for my own occasional enjoyment/interest as well as for friends and family, but others are welcome (although I don't go out of my way to self-promote—almost the opposite, in fact).

I urge potential first-time commenters to take the time to read the guidelines on the commenting form. Regardless of whether you comment or not I hope you find something of interest or enjoyable here...


Monday, November 13, 2006

Jack Williamson, 1908-2006

Click to visit Jack Williamson page at FantasticFiction.co.uk

I just found out via the SFsite.com news page (coordinated by Steven H. Silver) that...
Author Jack Williamson (b.1908) died on November 10.

Williamson's first published short story, "The Metal Men," was published in Amazing in 1928, and he has published stories or novels in every decade since then, with his most recent novel being The Stonehenge Gate in 2005.

His writing runs the gamut of the field, including such seminal works as The Legion of Space, Darker Than You Think, The Humanoids, and several collaborations with Frederik Pohl.

Williamson's autobiography, the Hugo winning Wonder's Child, was published in 1984.

In 1976, he was named SFWA's second Grand Master and was inducted into the Science Fiction Hall of Fame in 1996.

In 2004, he was named a World Horror Grand Master.

The Jack Williamson Science Fiction Library was established at Eastern New Mexico University in 1982.

Williamson also won a Hugo and Nebula for his novella "The Ultimate Earth."

A memorial service will be held at the Campus Union Building of ENMU in Portales, NM on November 16.
For a bibliography, check out this UK Fantastic Fiction page.

No comments: