Welcome

For best results please use compatibility view...

Thank you for stopping by my blog. There is no particular theme or topic and no posting schedule either. This is just something I do for my own occasional enjoyment/interest as well as for friends and family, but others are welcome (although I don't go out of my way to self-promote—almost the opposite, in fact).

I urge potential first-time commenters to take the time to read the guidelines on the commenting form. Regardless of whether you comment or not I hope you find something of interest or enjoyable here...


Monday, November 13, 2006

Self-parking car

I keep seeing that Lexus ad where a bunch of folks are talking in nostalgic tones about how things were "in the old days" when they had to get up to change the channel or adjust rabbit ears and such. Then the last bit is a guy sitting behind the wheel of his Lexus saying to himself in wonder, "I used to have to parallel park myself..." while the steering wheel turns by itself.

I kept meaning to check on this "feature" and I finally thought to do so:

Lexus Self Parking Car Video and Review
Brief Drudge Retort comments
Lexus demo page

At the touch of a button, the available Advanced Parking Guidance System¹ can parallel park the LS or back into a parking space with just a little brake work by the driver. First, position the LS parallel and in front of the parking space, then use the navigation screen to select the parallel park icon. After pressing the OK button on the screen, simply remove your hands from the steering wheel and regulate the vehicle’s speed by using the brake.²

¹ The Advanced Parking Guidance System requires driver brake control. Always look around outside the vehicle and use mirrors to confirm clearance.
² Vehicle(s) shown may feature optional equipment.
Personally, I've never understood the big difficulty of parallel parking. Surely it's not that hard, is it? I won't say I can slide a car into a spot in one swoop every time, but a little bit of angling and back-and-forth adjustments doesn't seem all that big a deal.

At least the system is optional in that you have to explicitly activate it each time. No way would I ever use it beyond a one- or two-time under-controlled-conditions test.

1 comment:

curmudgeon said...

Good gawd. People are just too lazy or stupid to even handle that little 'Life Task'.
They don't deserve to drive.