At least that seems to be the point of their current TV ad where they show a customer coming in and acting out charades-like exactly what she's looking for while a store associate correctly (and oh so cheerfully) guesses what she wants.
I can envision a scenario where someone is looking for a particular gift and she doesn't quite know what it's called, but she knows its purpose so she can kind of describe it. This person, though, is acting out Christmas stuff that obviously anyone in her right mind would know, like a wreath, garland, inflatable holiday-themed lawn ornament, etc.
I guess it's supposed to be funny, but it wasn't funny to me from the very first time I saw it. I just immediately jumped to the conclusion that Lowe's customers must be morons. Who at Lowe's could possibly have thought it would make a good commercial to insult the intelligence of their customers?
In fairness I will add that I haven't really listened to the commercial all that closely, so I don't know if they somehow put the scenes in a context that makes even a little bit of sense, but I just don't see how that could even be possible. I'm not going to bother trying to find out, though, as I'll just continue to dive for the mute button when I see the commercial beginning.
2 days ago



1 comment:
I guess maybe Lowe's has stopped running the ad in question because I just saw a different holiday-themed ad for them. In this one a man asks a store associate to pretend to be his wife and follow him around the store while he shows her items such as leaf blowers, power saws, etc., as potential gifts and gauges her reactions.
At the end of the ad when he's shown were something perfect they almost hug as if she actually is his wife, but then they catch themselves and back out of it awkwardly.
It's not a horrible commercial and certainly a lot less insulting of their customers IMO, this one being more actually humorous though still not a yuk-fest. The guy still doesn't seem like a Mensa candidate, but that's OK.
Post a Comment