| What American accent do you have? Your Result: Philadelphia Your accent is as Philadelphian as a cheesesteak! If you're not from Philadelphia, then you're from someplace near there like south Jersey, Baltimore, or Wilmington. if you've ever journeyed to some far off place where people don't know that Philly has an accent, someone may have thought you talked a little weird even though they didn't have a clue what accent it was they heard. | |
| The Northeast | |
| The Midland | |
| The Inland North | |
| The South | |
| Boston | |
| The West | |
| North Central | |
| What American accent do you have? Take More Quizzes | |
In an effort to investigate the possibility that the quiz might somehow "cheat" by examining some unknown, but commonly held data or parameter setting residing on my PC, I also took the quiz a second time and gave completely inaccurate answers (except for my age and gender which I still identified truthfully). The generated list of possible accents fully reversed with the top three possibilities shown above being listed as the almost completely negligible bottom three possibilities, though Philadelphia was indeed listed last. The reversed result makes perfect sense given the difference between essentially all truthful or all misleading input.
I then took the quiz a third time giving mixed truthful and misleading responses (though again I answered accurately as to age and gender) and the result was a likely "Boston" accent with "Philadelphia" being third on the subsequent list of alternate possibilities. In other words, the list of possibilities seemed more randomized which is what I expected given the mixed input.
I still have absolutely no idea how one's age or gender could affect the results, but I'm willing to accept on faith that they might have some (though I would tend to think very minor) significance. However, I'll leave that particular narrowly focused investigation to others who may care more about such trivia. (Obviously to use this quiz to test for any calculated significance of age and gender on regional accent, you should keep all responses the same and only vary age and/or gender. I just can't be bothered to go that far right now, though I admit I'm mildly curious.)
As for the accuracy of my results I'm not actually from Philadelphia, but my mother was born and raised there and I've lived all my life within about 25 miles of the Philadelphia city limits. So based on the simple results of one round each of truthful, misleading, and mixed input I would say the quiz seems to be accurate.



No comments:
Post a Comment