Welcome

For best results please use compatibility view...

Thank you for stopping by my blog. There is no particular theme or topic and no posting schedule either. This is just something I do for my own occasional enjoyment/interest as well as for friends and family, but others are welcome (although I don't go out of my way to self-promote—almost the opposite, in fact).

I urge potential first-time commenters to take the time to read the guidelines on the commenting form. Regardless of whether you comment or not I hope you find something of interest or enjoyable here...


Saturday, January 6, 2007

Jackasses will be jackasses

It's a beautiful day today, sun shining and temperatures supposed to be in the 70s—this on January 6th! But this is what I woke up to this morning (click the thumbnails for full views)...

Click to view bent bracket where post was forced out Click to view smashed mailbox

Some jackasses decided that it would be really fun to go out vandalizing mailboxes at night. A neighbor's mailbox from up the road was in my yard alongside my post. The box was just the box part of one of these hard molded plastic setups. Even though it was separated from the base (which also was not damaged), it was otherwise intact and he was able to quickly and easily reattach it.

Turns out the only reason my post was in my yard was because my neighbors across the street found it earlier in the morning when driving down the street and recognized the house number on the post as mine, so they picked it up and left it by the mailbox in my yard which they assumed was mine, but wasn't.

You can see in the first pic how the steel bracket or whatever it is in the ground that the post went into is just bent on one side because of how they deliberately had to drive up to it and then forcibly nudge it until it gave out completely. It wasn't just some idiots driving by and throwing batteries.

My actual mailbox was also down the road where the jackasses apparently decided it would really be nifty to run it over altogether. You can see the result in the second pic. I've always been able to pound the box back into shape when this has happened before (just about yearly on my street), but there's no fixing it this time.

My question to the jackasses would be... Just what exactly makes random destruction of someone else's property "fun?" And I sure do hope it's random and not targeted at me (there's certainly no possible motive that comes to my mind) with a few other red-herrings along the way just to make it appear random.

No comments: