Welcome

For best results please use compatibility view...

Thank you for stopping by my blog. There is no particular theme or topic and no posting schedule either. This is just something I do for my own occasional enjoyment/interest as well as for friends and family, but others are welcome (although I don't go out of my way to self-promote—almost the opposite, in fact).

I urge potential first-time commenters to take the time to read the guidelines on the commenting form. Regardless of whether you comment or not I hope you find something of interest or enjoyable here...


Saturday, February 17, 2007

Curse you Murphy!

Well, as usually happens when I dive into the next wonderful new upgrade of something, it turns out that it screws something up. The upgrade to Blogger 2.0 seemed to go smoothly, but then when I tried to alter the "About Me" section of my profile, it turns out that HTML tags can no longer be used in there—which means I can no longer do my CD list there. I've moved it to my sidebar box below the "About Me" box, but it doesn't operate quite the same there and isn't as easily accessible either. They don't let you revert to the old Blogger version so it's either live with it the way it is or try to convert my old classic style template (which I've spent significant time customizing to my liking) to a version which will work with even more "wonderful" (note: sarcastic quotes) new Blogger 2.0 capabilities.

I swear it seems that software-based companies just change things to justify their continued existence, but rarely have I seen an upgrade of something be as wonderful as advertised and more often than not it just introduces problems and glitches where previously there were none. I'm always told, "Don't worry, things will go smoothly and you'll be so much better off." Well, sometimes I may actually end up better off, but even then it's usually only after much hand-wringing and gnashing of teeth while muttering expletives under my breath.

I've spent most of the last two days searching fruitlessly through various un-helpful and poorly organized Blogger help pages and/or Google Groups on Blogger trying to find out how to fix the issue at hand (which really should be quite simple). I finally stumbled across a Google Groups page which gives some indication that a further upgrade/conversion of my template might help. But it's far from definite.

Sigh.

Luckily since no one reads this blog (or would care much if it went away) that gives me some courage so that I may just dive all in and go for the further template upgrade/conversion and deal with the headaches now. It just might restore some of the functionality I lost (or not) and if things get worse, well, it was fun for a while...

It's just annoying that in all the times a new version of something has been hyped as wonderful and must-have, I can't recall too many instances where the product/service has lived up to that hype. Come to think of it, I can't actually recall any instances of that being the case, but that could be attributable to a faulty memory chip in my brain.

As I indicated I'm still not sure if I'll even try the further "upgrade" or not, but if I do, then there may be all sorts of weirdness happening around here for a while (it's even possible I may be forced to abandon the blog altogether). Or maybe it will go smoothly and I'll be able to restore some order and continue blogging away. The ultimate result for you the reader should be obvious in time.

No comments: