Welcome

For best results please use compatibility view...

Thank you for stopping by my blog. There is no particular theme or topic and no posting schedule either. This is just something I do for my own occasional enjoyment/interest as well as for friends and family, but others are welcome (although I don't go out of my way to self-promote—almost the opposite, in fact).

I urge potential first-time commenters to take the time to read the guidelines on the commenting form. Regardless of whether you comment or not I hope you find something of interest or enjoyable here...


Monday, February 5, 2007

Some insight into depression

I found the January 29th Voices in the Family program, hosted by Dr. Dan Gottlieb on 91 FM WHYY in Philadelphia to be very interesting. The topic was teen suicide prevention which on the face of it would not seem to be of much relevance to me personally since I'm long past my teenage years and I am not suicidal. However, in exploring the topic Dr. Gottlieb and his guests frequently and inevitably touched on depression in general, discussing some causes, triggers, symptoms, characteristics, etc.

It's certainly not a program that is "fun" to listen to, I'll grant you, but I thought it was informative if only for some of the description of what it's actually like to be depressed. Obviously a description can't really convey the actual feelings of the condition, but it's a start. The program is a little over 50 minutes long so you will have to set aside a good chunk of time if you think you may want to hear it in its entirety.

To listen, visit the Voices in the Family web page and find the archived program for January 29, 2007, or simply try the following direct links to the audio...

Real Audio | mp3

GUESTS:
Hillary Domers—A Licensed Clinical Social Worker for Jewish Family Services of Cherry Hill and the director of their outpatient child and adolescence program
Dr. Howard Sudak—A Clinical Professor in the Department of Psychiatry of the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine and research coordinator for suicide prevention for the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
Paul LeBuffe—Director of the Institute of Clinical Training in Research for the Devereux Foundation and a Master Trainer for the QPR Institute (QPR = Question, Persuade, Refer)

No comments: