Welcome

For best results please use compatibility view...

Thank you for stopping by my blog. There is no particular theme or topic and no posting schedule either. This is just something I do for my own occasional enjoyment/interest as well as for friends and family, but others are welcome (although I don't go out of my way to self-promote—almost the opposite, in fact).

I urge potential first-time commenters to take the time to read the guidelines on the commenting form. Regardless of whether you comment or not I hope you find something of interest or enjoyable here...


Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Template conversion update

Things are looking up. I've restored a lot of "the look" I had before, but there are still some other things I haven't gotten around to yet:

Accomplished:
  • My "About Me" profile area is back close to what I want, mainly with my CD listings intact and easily editable. Had to add an HTML/JavaScript page element to be able to get XHTML tags accepted for formatting purposes, but it displays about right.
  • Re-installed the MapMyWord tool in the sidebar.
  • Re-positioned the "Add to Google" button to appear in the profile area.
  • Changed the post footer background color to the blue I had before instead of the default dark gray. The fonts and colors setting page only lets you adjust certain components, not all the available tweakable components. There are hoops you have to jump through to tweak the others.
  • Restored the "rounded corners" look that I did away with way back in the early blog days (for convenience at the time). Was just a matter of having the time and patience to do the necessary corner image customization properly.
  • Had to do some trial and error testing, but figured out how to make some of my sidebar links have non-clickable plain text explanatory notes. Initially it looked like the explanatory stuff would have to be part of each link, making them very long and ungainly looking. My implemented solution doesn't look quite the same as it used to (nor was it as easy to implement as it was in the old template), but it'll do.
Yet to look into, but not necessarily urgent:
  • Would like to re-install my list of recent commenters/comments to the sidebar, but I don't know if it's still doable with this new setup. I'll have to re-investigate in the Blogger help pages to see if it's compatible with the fully functional newer template.
  • I want to put the "Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)" note right with the Google button in the profile area instead of way down at the bottom of the page, but I'm not sure if I can.
  • Individual post titles now have permalinks to their very own display pages (which I like), but when you go to click them the background around the title turns gray (which I don't like) instead of the title text itself changing color. I want to see if I can change that somehow.
  • I don't immediately see how to change the colors for the links in the footer of each post. Once you visit one of those links I somehow have them displaying in a blue that doesn't show up real well against the blue footer background. Not a major issue.
There may be other stuff on either list I'm forgetting, but those are at least some of the issues with which I've dealt or am in the process of dealing.

Since returning the CD list to the profile area was the major reason for deciding to do the full template conversion, I guess I have to say the conversion process is a success (though not unqualified as there are other minor concerns yet, but I'll be working on them behind the scenes).

No comments: