I've blogged before about iGoogle (formerly known as Google Homepage) and the various fun or useful gadgets and feeds one can place on numerous customized tabs. I've also particularly focused before on my favorite gadget of all, the full page comics gadget. Its title is what it is—a gadget for displaying comics in a full page mode (as opposed to a more normal, but somewhat-puny-for-comics iGoogle gadget-sized window).
I initially used the full page comics gadget to display certain favorite comics that I've seen over the years, some which still appear in my local paper, but others which it doesn't carry and so therefore I haven't regularly read them in quite a while. (Then there are a few classic retired strips—Bloom County, Peanuts, Calvin & Hobbes—which I still enjoy a daily dose of.) Then I set up another iGoogle tab to display all available strips which happen to appear in my local paper as well, even if they're not absolute favorites. That way if I read one I particularly like one day, I can then jump online and easily grab a copy of it for my personal archive or possibly email it to anyone I think may also enjoy it. After that I set up a couple tabs for other comics I've seen once in a while in other papers, strips like Big Nate, Drabble, Frank and Ernest, Monty (formerly Robotman), The Quigmans (for the sheer stupidity of it—long story), to name just a handful.
Now I'd like to focus on one particular comic—Tim Rickard's Brewster Rockit: Space Guy! (Mostly it's just referred to as Brewster Rockit.)
A week or two ago I decided, What the heck, why don't I try out some of the other comics offered by the gadget?—ones which I had no knowledge of whatsoever. I found a few I like so far, but Brewster has rocketed to the top of my list as a new favorite. Given its science fiction satirical style, it's right up my launch pad.
If anyone out there is familiar with Ben Edlund's The Tick, either the comic book, the short-lived saturday morning cartoon, or the even more short-lived (less long-lived?) prime time live-action sitcom (with Patrick Warburton perfectly cast as the title character) then you'll probably understand when I say that Brewster is very Tick-like. So if you enjoyed The Tick, I think you'll like Brewster and of course the vice is versa. (See this Ben Edlund Wikipedia page for a readable overview bio—as opposed to the simple listing of works at IMDb.)
The Brewster Wikipedia page seems like a good overview of the characters if you want a general introduction, but it's not necessary. Apparently Brewster is fairly new, having debuted in July, 2004, at SciFiDimensions , an online magazine.
On December 3 Brewster began a Doctor Who TARDIS-themed storyline and I highly recommend it for Whovians and Tickians alike...



No comments:
Post a Comment