Welcome

For best results please use compatibility view...

Thank you for stopping by my blog. There is no particular theme or topic and no posting schedule either. This is just something I do for my own occasional enjoyment/interest as well as for friends and family, but others are welcome (although I don't go out of my way to self-promote—almost the opposite, in fact).

I urge potential first-time commenters to take the time to read the guidelines on the commenting form. Regardless of whether you comment or not I hope you find something of interest or enjoyable here...


Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Moody (Red, White and) Blues Opus

Even though Berke(ley) Breathed retired the comic strip many years ago now I've long remained a fan of Bloom County. Back at the height of its popularity I got a small stuffed Opus and placed him in proximity to my PC. To this day he sits perched atop one of my speakers. Despite his being "fairly liberal minded" (see species info further below), I noticed from day one that physically he tended to lean to the right. Ironically, the one thing I found to help his condition is for him to hold a U.S. flag in his left arm...

Opus with American flag
For whatever reason, today I picked up the accompanying species info card and re-read it. I'd forgotten that he was such a big Moody Blues fan...

Card cover
Card text
Of course, Opus is back in print these days starring in his own self-titled sundays-only strip. This past weekend's was particularly good, I thought. Please visit this comics.com Opus page to view it. (Eventually that link will likely stop working, so if/when that happens try here instead.)

Updated Dec. 17: Yesterday's Opus strip (alternate long-term link here) continued the wordplay theme begun the previous week as linked to immediately above.
_______________________

(Hey, to me it's great just to have my scanner back to reliable usefulness so that I can once again scan things like the species info card or other "interesting" stuff on a whim and present it here.)

2 comments:

angel said...

...and I figure you are expecting me to turn up here today. :-)

I had forgotten about the Moody Blues reference. Very funny.

Dimension Skipper said...

Yep. I wanted to test my scanner a second time to make sure it was really working and not just a fluke the first time I tried it after straightening out my PC issues. Thought this would be a fun little thing to post that you especially might get a kick out of whether you'd ever been aware of Opus's musical tastes or not. Don't know how he feels about Steely Dan, but he hasn't waddled off yet. :-)