Welcome
For best results please use compatibility view...
Thank you for stopping by my blog. There is no particular theme or topic and no posting schedule either. This is just something I do for my own occasional enjoyment/interest as well as for friends and family, but others are welcome (although I don't go out of my way to self-promote—almost the opposite, in fact).
I urge potential first-time commenters to take the time to read the guidelines on the commenting form. Regardless of whether you comment or not I hope you find something of interest or enjoyable here...
Mr. Rogers? Or a madman?
I'm a fan of Berke Breathed's old Bloom County comic strip.
The Seattle Times is one of three online sites I check daily for a different sequence of the old strips. Today's strip on display there is from
December 31, 1985...

That struck me as odd because I've specifically scanned a bunch of the old Banana Jr. strips from the Bloom County books and that happens to be one of them, but the punchline is different...

I would guess it was changed for the later book publication, but I wonder why. Maybe just because the Mr. Rogers line is funnier. Or perhaps Mr. Rogers had to give his permission and only did so in time for the book edition. I'll likely never know, but I find it curious.
1 comment:
It was obviously Mr. Rogers anyway, so I'm assuming it must have had something to do with either A) obtaining permission to use the actual name, or B) simply fear of reprisal on Mr. Rogers' part and perhaps Mr. Breathed later found out that Mr. Rogers enjoyed the strip and approved.
No way of knowing the real story, of course, so all I can do is speculate. The line from the book is funnier imo just because it doesn't play games trying to avoid the identity issue.
Post a Comment