Welcome

For best results please use compatibility view...

Thank you for stopping by my blog. There is no particular theme or topic and no posting schedule either. This is just something I do for my own occasional enjoyment/interest as well as for friends and family, but others are welcome (although I don't go out of my way to self-promote—almost the opposite, in fact).

I urge potential first-time commenters to take the time to read the guidelines on the commenting form. Regardless of whether you comment or not I hope you find something of interest or enjoyable here...


Friday, April 25, 2008

This blog closed for the foreseeable future

I started this blog as a means of having a little simple fun. For the most part I enjoyed doing it and learning all the ins and outs of how to do it. It was nice having a relaxed easy way of putting forth some opinions, observations and the occasional odd detail of my actual life. I assumed that pretty much only a handful of people—family and friends, if anybody—would ever stop by, but I didn't mind if others in the world at large also visited.

Unlike many bloggers out there I have done my best to try to be mostly friendly in tone and non-confrontational. I've also tried to avoid controversial subjects. My assumption was that with those two simple guiding principles, I wouldn't have to worry about the multitude of snide and often quite vulgar anonymous commenters I see out there on the web everyday and everywhere. Well, I will say that the anonymous commenters have at least avoided particularly crude expressions of opinion and I appreciate that. However, even just simple snarky snideness often bothers me, and especially more and more of late due to other things which admittedly are probably much more a product of my own mindset these days.

Am I being overly sensitive? Probably. So? That's my right and that's the way I feel. I'll never understand why so many people cannot hold themselves in check and resist that urge to do a "drive-by" snarky comment insinuating negative things. Many people should re-discover that age-old advice of "If you can't say something nice, say nothing at all." It's so simple in its golden-rulishness and so easy to follow... Yet the world in general seems to care nothing for courtesy and civility anymore.

It is also becoming increasingly obvious to me that the world and I frequently disagree on very basic principles of conduct, whether in real life or virtual life. Well, I know I can't change the world and while I cannot withdraw from real life, I can withdraw from this virtual blogging one.

I said a while back that when this blog ceased being fun for me, I would stop doing it. That day has arrived. I have turned off comments, though I am leaving my commenting guide (referred to above) intact on the off chance I change my mind about this decision. At some point down the road I may decide to give it a go again, but for now I just need a significant break.

I had in mind a couple blog entries I wanted to get around to, but now one is definitely never going to see the light of day and the other, well, I may go ahead and do it at some point, but I doubt it will be anytime real soon (if ever). The latter one was just something I wanted to do for fun and sharing, but now frankly I just don't see the point—much like a lot of things in life anymore.

So... To my few loyal visitors and the bulk of the commenters—the friendly ones—I truly thank you for your interest and sharing. I especially want to thank Angel, specifically for her patience in helping me out with my DTV issues of late, but more generally just for her overall kindness. She truly exemplifies the caring principles toward which the people of this modern ever-more-complex world should strive. Angel, your online moniker is indeed appropriate. (Please note there are several other kind souls I've met through my virtual travels, both here at my blog and elsewhere, but I just felt Angel was exceptionally deserving of my public acknowledgement at this time.)

And on that note, I bid you adieu. May you all find your Happy Place as I now continue to search for mine. It's time for me to skip dimensions...


Calvin & Hobbes in a better dimension...

      I recall when I was small
      How I spent my days alone
      The busy world was not for me
      So I went and found my own


            —"The Caves of Altamira" by Steely Dan