Anyway, there's a nearby business known as Mighty Joe's Gas, Grill & Deli. They have a big gorilla statue on premises. The sign mounted on Joe indicates that he was placed there as a tribute to a family member who died. Roadside America has all the details including basic info about the honored family member (who died of a brain tumor in 1999) and the origins of the "big guy" himself (salvaged in 2004 from the shore). It's a short, but interesting story (I think).
Mighty Joe is not far from me, but he's in a spot that I rarely go by. The business is having some work done on its gas pump island and much of the front lot, including Joe, is currently enclosed by temporary chain link fence. Here are front and slightly to the side views of Joe and then a closeup of the explanatory tribute sign on his chest...

(As usual, just click the images to view the larger versions.)



4 comments:
Wow, two spectacular posts in one week. I am impressed. Mighty Joe is cool and what a tribute to their son.
Well, I don't know about "spectacular" as far as the posts are concerned (you're very kind!), but I do think Joe is kind of cool, especially now that I know a little more of the backstory.
Also, there's a local Valenzano Winery very near to Mighty Joe's (on another road sort of around the corner), so I'm assuming the family is very probably the same, but I really don't know for 100% sure.
My friend, you are not giving yourself enough credit. You have an eye for such things...and we appreciate it. :-)
Well, all I can say then is a humble thank you...
You know, you've a pretty good eye yourself with your own multi-faceted travelogue posts as Ken Levine might call'em.
;-)
Post a Comment