Welcome

For best results please use compatibility view...

Thank you for stopping by my blog. There is no particular theme or topic and no posting schedule either. This is just something I do for my own occasional enjoyment/interest as well as for friends and family, but others are welcome (although I don't go out of my way to self-promote—almost the opposite, in fact).

I urge potential first-time commenters to take the time to read the guidelines on the commenting form. Regardless of whether you comment or not I hope you find something of interest or enjoyable here...


Wednesday, May 20, 2009

To pass some time when you travel...

I can just picture folks carrying this onto a plane, train, or bus and causing some quizzical stares and double takes...

Agatha Christie breaks a Third World Record

Today Agatha Christie has set a new world record – for the book with the thickest spine. Measuring over a foot long, with 4,032 pages, the volume contains the complete Miss Marple stories – all 12 novels and 20 short stories....

Click for further details...

Click through for the full details, but I'll mention here that it costs £1000. That appears to be around $1550 or €1133 if the online currency converters I consulted are anywhere near accurate. (One converted £1000 to just shy of $2000, but the other two pretty well matched at the $1550 figure so I assume those are probably more accurate though I really have no idea.)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I enjoy her work so much: such period pieces and very entertaining. I will stick to my paperbacks, however. Can you imagine lugging that thing around:)

Dimension Skipper said...

I recently was in my local Borders bookstore and saw a humongously oversized coffee table book that had to be almost a yard tall by maybe 20 or 25 inches or so. It was huge! Had to do with space or astronomy or some such, I think. It was a bargain book for $19.99 if I recall correctly (which really isn't a bad price at all for a book that size).

Anyway, it was then I first flashed on the image of someone carrying such a book into, say, a doctor's waiting room and sitting down with it to read while waiting for an appointment. It could be either a real-life performance piece or just a throwaway gag scene in a sitcom or movie.

Or maybe not. But I found the thought of such a scene tickled my funny bone just wondering what sort of reactions one would get.

And yeah, I'll stick to paperbacks too, though science fiction happens to be my genre of choice.

Anonymous said...

Oy, DimSkip, that's one book I won't be buying...

One of many (many), that is. That's what public libraries are for, no?

I'm surrounded by books in my house -- and when I look at them now, taking all that space and accumulating all that dust, I keep thinking what a waste it was to acquire them. And for what, really? Mostly a momentary thrill or pleasure. Same with all the other possessions. Gathering stuff, books included, can be deadly in many ways; at the end, it possesses us, not the other way around.

Dimension Skipper said...

Too true, Elizabeth, too true. Though I read nowhere near as much as I used to back in the day, I still somehow value books over many, many other possessions. Perhaps I'm just old-fashioned.

Still, this AC book is one I won't even attempt to acquire. Unless maybe I see it for, say, $1 at a future flea market.

:-)

Anonymous said...

Yes, there is something special about books, indeed -- harder to part with them than some other possessions. Why is it, I wonder?