Welcome

For best results please use compatibility view...

Thank you for stopping by my blog. There is no particular theme or topic and no posting schedule either. This is just something I do for my own occasional enjoyment/interest as well as for friends and family, but others are welcome (although I don't go out of my way to self-promote—almost the opposite, in fact).

I urge potential first-time commenters to take the time to read the guidelines on the commenting form. Regardless of whether you comment or not I hope you find something of interest or enjoyable here...


Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Recent CD spins

I'm trying something here on a trial basis... I thought I'd put a list of CDs I've listened to lately over to the right in the blue "About Me" box. I doubt that I'll be uncovering any little known gems for folks, but the list might give a little glimpse into my personality just by virtue of showing what sort of music I like. (I certainly don't expect people to rush out and buy the CDs just because I'm listening to them.) It'll mostly be a mix of older rock/pop stuff with a good deal of modern era country (along with some classic stuff too).

Certain artists I really like and have most (if not all) of their regular releases. I often play in chronological order everything I have by a favorite act. Other artists merit a good hits collection or two, but that's it.

Once in a while I might be in the mood for a particular Steely Dan or George Strait album (just to choose a couple of particular examples) and pick one out of the lineup.

If I pick up a new CD, I'll typically play it a few times to get a feel for it and decide how much I like it, especially as compared to anything else I may already have by the same act. For example, recent standout acquisitions for my collection (prior to Dec. 12, 2006 which is when I'm writing this) are George Strait's It Just Comes Natural, BR549's Dog Days, Prairie Oyster's One Kiss, and Radney Foster's This World We Live In.

Most new music I get these days is country (and it's been that way for some time). To me rock music has changed and not for the better. New rock acts seem to be all about projecting a hip cool and/or brooding image while being as loud and discordant as possible. Often the lead singer is either just screaming or affecting some strange sounding "stylistic" phrasing. But I don't care about an artist's image, I care about the music and I like my music to be, well, musical. Is that asking too much?

No comments: