Welcome

For best results please use compatibility view...

Thank you for stopping by my blog. There is no particular theme or topic and no posting schedule either. This is just something I do for my own occasional enjoyment/interest as well as for friends and family, but others are welcome (although I don't go out of my way to self-promote—almost the opposite, in fact).

I urge potential first-time commenters to take the time to read the guidelines on the commenting form. Regardless of whether you comment or not I hope you find something of interest or enjoyable here...


Thursday, December 14, 2006

Think now... Is it REALLY awesome?

I just want to say it's time to retire the word "awesome" from everyday use. By its very definition it should only be used to describe things and events which make one feel really small and insignificant as a being, powerless in the grand scheme of the cosmos.

Things that truly are (or would be) awesome:
● Jesus (or any other deity you may care to believe in) coming to Earth in a manner that truly, implicitly, and unmistakably announces to the world "I AM GOD, KNEEL BEFORE ME!"
● Mountain ranges
● The Grand Canyon
● Stars and planets, supernovae and quasars, etc

Those are things which could inspire a feeling of awe, a sense of scale and time so much bigger than us and longer than our own lifetimes that we simply cannot ever truly comprehend them.

Things that are not awesome:
● Winning a sporting event
● A reality TV show or anything that occurs on it
● High speed internet access
● A car
● Shoes

Some of those things can be really nice, perhaps even thrilling in their own way, but that's about it.

So enough with the casual "Awesome!" pronouncements already. I've hereby retired the word from everyday usage until the time when something occurs that is truly awesome. I'll let you know...

No comments: