Welcome

For best results please use compatibility view...

Thank you for stopping by my blog. There is no particular theme or topic and no posting schedule either. This is just something I do for my own occasional enjoyment/interest as well as for friends and family, but others are welcome (although I don't go out of my way to self-promote—almost the opposite, in fact).

I urge potential first-time commenters to take the time to read the guidelines on the commenting form. Regardless of whether you comment or not I hope you find something of interest or enjoyable here...


Thursday, December 28, 2006

THAT'S not a clock...

I was in Wal-Mart looking at analog wall-clocks and they had one that looked like a square white upholstered seat cushion with silver hour, minute, and second hands. That's it, no numbers. At first I didn't even notice the hands against the white background and I was standing right in front of it.

I'm sorry, but that is not a clock.

I tried to find an image of it online either at Wal-Mart's site or via general Google and Google Image searches. I even tried search phrases including "No Boundaries" because that was the brand. I can't seem to find it anywhere. The closest I got to finding any info at all was this entry on a message board where someone mentions it among various white elephant items s/he has exchanged or given away. Not surprising.

UPDATE: Finally found it! Or at least a very closely related version. I'm sure the one I saw in the store had silver hands as I already mentioned (narrower too). The one I just found online has black hour and minute hands with a white second hand. And the cushion itself looks off-white. Anyway, I did a Google Image search for the phrase cushion clock to find...

Click to view stupid clock, uh, I mean Barcelona Cushion clock details

There are four dots, but they are not well placed. I would think that they should at least be positioned where the 12, 3, 6, and 9 would normally be so that you would have a good reference for "on the hour," "quarter after," "half past," and "quarter of." Instead the dots are positioned between what should be 1 & 2, 4 & 5, 7 & 8, and 10 & 11.

It just makes no sense to me to stick the hands of a clock on something as nondescript as a seat cushion. Heck, you may as well just mount the hands mechanism right on a bare wall—it'd be just as meaningful.

Now, I can tell that the clock in the picture shows 10:10, but it's certainly not going to be obvious to anyone trying to take just a quick glance at it. You'd have to be sure to get directly in front of it and look very carefully or it'd be easy to misread.

No comments: