I was in stores looking at movie DVDs. Remember when a movie used to be just a movie? I can understand full screen vs. widescreen versions, but now there are endless re-packagings and alternate editions. There are the digitally remastered versions, director's cut expanded editions, special collectors' editions, unrated versions, two-disc bonus sets, bonus features exclusive to particular chain stores, packages that come with toys or action figures, et frickin' cetera.
Enough!
I've decided that I don't care what the bonus features are, they're not worth spending extra money for a couple extra features explaining exactly how they did a certain special effect. I may never look at those extras anyway. I just want to see the movie, is that too much (or too little) to ask?
There are more than enough movies (not to mention TV series) committed to DVD, we don't need five different packaged versions of each of them! It's too confusing and just plain too much.
Oh, and now of course, regular DVDs are gonna be passé and we'll have to go through all this again with HD DVDs and Blu-Ray discs (and I don't even know what the difference is between those two formats). I think I'll wait for that solid projection holographic technology to be perfected. Wake me up in 2035.
2 days ago



No comments:
Post a Comment