By the way, in briefly researching this already overly long chocolate/peanut butter preamble to my virtually unrelated main point—I'll get to it eventually, just scroll down if you get impatient—I also looked into another Reese's product, Reese's Pieces, an M&M-like candy which I always assumed contained both peanuts (in some form, if not butter) and chocolate. However, Wikipedia specifically mentions:
"Although Reese's Pieces are listed among the 'chocolate-based' candies as well as 'confectionery' candies on the Hershey's website, they do not contain any chocolate."
At any rate, I'm allergic to both chocolate and peanuts (and therefore the butter variety too). The chocolate allergy was a very minor one (nose sniffles) and it's possible I outgrew it at some point. However, not having had chocolate since I was about five years old, I see no reason to try it again almost forty years later. Hard as it is for most folks to believe, I long ago got used to living without chocolate (even though I liked it at the time before I found out I was technically allergic).
Peanuts, on the other hand were a much more serious situation. My Dad's place of employment used to have an annual company picnic for employees and their families. One of the traditional events was a peanut scramble. Peanuts (in their shells) would be strewn over a grassy area and kids would "scramble" to fill bags with as much as they could grab. They'd then take'em home to shell and eat. That's when the trouble for me began.
I don't really remember it, but Mom often told the story that my brother and I were at the kitchen table shelling the peanuts. Mom was off in another room for a while and when she came to the kitchen she was alarmed as to why my eyes were swollen and puffy. That was the first discovery of my allergies with nuts being easily the worst one. I hadn't even eaten any, just handled them while shelling. It's possible I then rubbed my face or eyes at some point.
Now I don't believe my peanut allergy is quite to the severity of some unlucky folks who could almost instantly have their windpipes close up and die if they even eat a nut. But it's still not a good idea for me to accidentally ingest any (or anything made with peanut oil or even various other types of nuts—almonds, pecans, cashews, etc). I can't even stand the smell of'em. Not that just the smell hurts me in any way, but maybe it would if I kept sniffing at it for too long, which I'm not gonna because, well, I don't like the smell.
(If you got tired of waiting for me to get to the "meat" of my post and scrolled down here's where you can pick it up...)
Anyway, all that really doesn't have much to do with anything other than to provide some longwinded backstory for me to say that I recently came up with what I thought was a somewhat different food combination (which reminded me of Reese's products and their advertising). At least I'd never heard of it or contemplated doing it until now. Lately for lunch quite often I've been having chunk light tuna mixed with salad dressing (store brand version of Miracle Whip, although some folks I know insist that it has to be Mayo and not just any mayo, but Hellmann's!) and placed on a bed of lettuce. I decided to try to "dress it up" a little to make it less boring.
I started by chopping up some onion, of course. As another useless aside... You know, it's weird, but as a kid I didn't like onions and used to order fast food burgers without the onions. Now as an adult, I love'em and can enjoy just munching on fresh cut raw slices. Strange how tastes evolve in a lifetime...
Next, I realized that I have a container of raisins on hand for snacking. I then thought, "Hmmm, I wonder how it would be to put raisins in the tuna?" I tried it and I like it. Maybe it's not really all that unusual, but I'd never done it or heard of it being done. I've known folks to put raisins (or even nuts) in their stuffing at Thanksgiving, but my family has never done that. Even so, I imagine raisins are generally quite versatile.
According to this page I Googled up out of curiosity, What do you put in your tuna fish sandwich?, apparently at least one other person ("Lausol") has discovered the tuna/raisin combo. She says:
"Here's a good one, absolutely delicious!! Tuna, mayo, shredded carrot and raisins or sultanas! (I'm not joking about the raisins, it's very, very good!)"
Also, as a topper I sprinkle on some shredded cheese, a mozzarella/provolone blend sold in a bag labelled "2 Cheese Pizza" since I assume that's the most common use.
By the way, I don't claim to be a great cook and I'm not really all that adventurous in the kitchen. I can do basic meals in a no-frills way well enough to not starve. And that's pretty much my measure of cooking success, not starving. So while I don't expect to be using it much, with this post I've implemented a new keyword tag: Food.
I'm curious to know if any of my three semi-regular readers have any thoughts one way or the other on this tuna/raisin mixture or suggestions for anything else to add. (I'm not really a big fan of celery, pickle, olives, or tomato), so that narrows the choices somewhat. Even more generally, I wonder if anyone has come up with some seemingly unlikely food pairings/mixtures of their own....



5 comments:
Roasted red peppers would go great with the onion/mozzarella mixture in a tuna melt.
D.
Well, as you know if you bother trundling through the meatloaf log entries on my blog, I consider including raisins in the meatloaf to be a tested and repeatable success.
I've never been much one for the celery bits that some folks added to tuna. Sure, it adds a crunch, but it's a stringy, chewy, annoying form of crunch. If I want crunch in tuna salad, throw in those crunchy little chinese food noodles, or crushed potato chips (neither of which do much good for the health aspects of the sandwich, admittedly.) I've never minded shredded carrot in tuna, but the single gentleman isn't apt to have reasonable amounts of shredded carrot laying about.
Hey, thanks for the comments, folks! Interesting ideas...
_______________
Denise: Yes, indeed the roasted red peppers do sound good for a tuna melt, though they're not something I'd normally have lying around. I'd never even considered a tuna melt before as I normally just have the tuna on a bed (well, more of a cot really) of lettuce.
But who knows, maybe someday if I'm feeling really adventurous I may just try it, with or without the red peppers. Can't say it would necessarily be real soon, but if I ever attempt it I will try to remember to blog it. (I've got this "food" tag thingie now, so I'll have to try to find ways to use it once in a while.)
The problem for me with a tuna melt is that it involves applying heat, always a dangerous proposition for me. And if it turns out well, I may end up with delusions of culinary grandeur and start thinking I actually can cook.
:-)
_______________
Nat: Of course, I've trundled through your meatloafs! I would even say that your entries on them were something of an inspiration for me to create the new food tag as a possible source of future blog entry categories.
I've admired your daredevilishness at times and now that you mention it I do semi-recall you giving thumbs up on the use of raisins. The humble raisin certainly seems versatile enough to add to cooked or uncooked foodstuffs, but other than the baking of desserts and pastries I can't say I remember seeing much call for them in main entrees. Then again, as I mentioned in the post, I generally keep it simple so it's not like I'm regularly skimming through recipes handed down through the DimSkip clan generations.
As for meat in loaf or non-loafed shapes, usually if I break out the ground meat, it ends up in ball form with some fat-free canned gravy for them to go swimming in just so they won't be overly dry, maybe a few noodles and a veggie as sides. Usually I make up 10 or so meatballs and cook'em all, then eat two, maybe three, and put the rest in the freezer for future thawing and reheating when in search of something simple and quick.
I haven't done anything with ground meat in a long time. If I break any out soon, I may just try the raisins in there as you suggest. Can't hurt and sounds like it might be good. And again, if I do it, I will try to remember to blog it.
The tuna/potato chip scenario is interesting as well. Don't know that I'd do it, but it's a thought if you do indeed crave the crunch. As you say, not the best healthwise, but oh well (and personally I'm not a fanatic when it comes to such considerations).
I remember as a child eating a meat (either ham or bologna) and cheese sandwich and sometimes layering some potato chips in there as well. Hey, I was eating them on the side anyway and they added that crunchy texture to the sandwich. Haven't done—or even thought of—that in many a year now though.
When we used to road trip to Phoenix, we always made tuna sandwiches with peanut butter...A favorite of Dennis the Menace, according to my Hubby.
Sorry about the alergies.
Tuna and peanut butter? Now that's really wild! I'm assuming you mean like slathering the peanut butter on one or both slices of bread and then placing the tuna in the middle... But I suppose in theory you could maybe mix the peanut butter right in with the tuna.
Neat. Obviously not something I can try, but neat nonetheless.
It's interesting the food combos some folks discover. Sometimes it's a regional thing, but other times it's a very personal specific thing. Even Elvis had his fried peanut butter and banana sandwiches (I think, if I recall correctly).
Post a Comment